steeping grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicratlhead51

Reaction score
I've been starting to do some of my own recipes and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what grains require a partial mash and which ones don't. Time restraints keep me away from all grain but I don't mind doing partial mashes. I just wanted a list or pointed to a list of what can be steeped.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't partial mash and steeping specialty grains two totally different things?

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't partial mash and steeping specialty grains two totally different things?

Yeah you're right. In a partial mash you need some base malts with the enzymes to convert the starches in the other malts or grains. I just don't know which specialty grains can just be steeped and which actually need mashing.

In general, grains that can be steeped are crystal/caramel malts and roasted malts. Anything with the word "cara" in it is a crystal malt. Roasted malts, black malts, chocolate malt, etc are darker because of the way they are processed, and can be steeped.

Only base malts must be mashed. This includes maris otter, Vienna malt, Munich malt, two-row, and aromatic malt.

I've been starting to do some of my own recipes and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what grains require a partial mash and which ones don't. Time restraints keep me away from all grain but I don't mind doing partial mashes. I just wanted a list or pointed to a list of what can be steeped.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart
There is a column for those that require a mash, partial or otherwise.

Right on guys both answers are exactly what I was looking for. Nice to get a rule of thumb like that Yoop and that link tlael put up will definitely help when in doubt thanks for the quick replies too
:D

Back