First Pilsener with WLP 029..odd

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenchu_11

Reaction score
I didn't have any DME on hand to make a starter, so I pitched out of the vail to my wort. It had a lag time of about a day and a half until a nice thick krausen formed. It had an O.G of 1.45 and F.G was 1.08. Not sure if WLP 029yeast is a top or bottom fermenting yeast but i'm used to seing a yeast cake on the bottom that is almost sand like. But this yeast was like ..uhm diareah looking globs. So my main two concerns are that the gravity (alcohol content) seems pretty light from 1.45 to 1.08 most of my brews go down to F.G of 0.08 and why was the yeast not sand like but clumpy blobs?

that kolsch yeast has always looked a bit different from other fermentations i've had. it is a top fermenting yeast like all ale strains. i'm not 100% clear on what your gravity readings were. do you mean 1.045 down to 1.008? if so, that's 4.8% ABV, which is fine.

Back