minimum deminsions for mini-fridge ferm cabinet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cory41287

Reaction score
like alot of other people ferm temps are getting the best of me. seem a simple fridge with a thermostat is the way to go. dose anyone know of any fridges that fit a 6 gallon better bottle? or what the minimum inside deminsions need too be? i would just measure my better bottle but i dont have it with me.

the Haeir NuCool 2.8 c.f is pretty much the smallest footprint fridge that will fit a 6 gallon better bottle or carboy. it's a nice little fridge, and has been working damn well for me since i picked it up off craigslist.

wow only 2.8 c.f. i figrued i would be looking at atleast 5.5 or so. what kind of temp control did you use? and how easy was the wiring?

i had an extra digital johnson controller. just plugged it in, cut a small hole in the rubber seal on the door and ran the probe through it. 30 seconds and i was fermenting at 64*.

total cost was ~75 for the NuCool on Craigslist, and ~95 for the wired digital Johnson controller

what about the hump at the back of all the mini fridges?

In mine, I cut all of the shelves off of the door (had to keep the frame of the plastic the shelves were molded in to so that the door sealed properly) and my 6 gallon sits in front of that hump perfectly.

wow! Compressor-free refrigerator!

Yeah, that is pretty cool! If I was in the market for a new ferm chamber I'd look into that.

so the Haeir NuCool has no hump in the back? where could i pick something like this up? price?

I bought mine new at Target for $79. I think they are back to $130 now though. sorry to rub it in. JA19 Controller from ebay for $30 shipped.

It is a peltier cooling unit so no compressor, so no hump.

if you feel like building something, you can grab a 1.5cu ft fridge at a pawn shop for $30, and an extra $100 in supplies have a fermentation chamber that fits two carboys :D

i just read some reviews on target.com and it looks like the Haier NuCool isnt all that dependable. anyone ever had a problem with these things not cooling?

+1 for the NuCool. Thread about it is here. I just got mine going this weekend. Rotozip bit with a Dremel seemed a little easier then the grinding wheel. I also put an external controller on it. I drilled a whole through the back and then mounted the controller on the back as you can see. the coil of tubing connected to the probe is protected by the back panel of the fridge now so I don't have to worry about kinking it.
IMG_6935.jpg

IMG_6936.jpg

IMG_6937.jpg

IMG_6938.jpg

Back