anyone consider installing an electric heating element to their BK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krausenmustache

Reaction score
mcmaster makes some nice stainless models for a couple hundred dollars, going into the 1000W range. I only ask because I was reading threads where people where complaining about the cost of propane, the potential for CO production, etc.

A proper strength heating element should bring the wort to a boil as fast as any propane burner, and the whole BK unit is self contained. Also, no ventilation needed.

i think quite a lot of people do this, not sure about the "stainless models"

i for one have two 5,500W low density heating elements in my boil kettle.

You're looking at stainless immersion heaters, which are extremely expensive. Take a look at replacement water heater elements. You can get nearly 6,000W for under $30. For a 5-7 gallon boil kettle, you're going to want somewhere around 4,000W or more.

You're looking at stainless immersion heaters, which are extremely expensive. Take a look at replacement water heater elements. You can get nearly 6,000W for under $30. For a 5-7 gallon boil kettle, you're going to want somewhere around 4,000W or more.

after posting, i did a little searching and found people saying that a 120VAC heater (regardless of wattage) is not powerful enough to boil 5-7gal. Is this true, would I need a 240VAC?

You will need about 3000-3500W... that means 240VAC.

MANY people mount these in thier BKs, I have a thread on installing mine.

My HERMS will run an entire brew session for $1.18 in electricity.

How long does it take to get 6gal to a boil (from sparge temp).

Okay, well you can use (2) 2000W elements... I use 5500W ULWD elements. You are looking to use 2000W elements. With 4000W it will take 14 minutes to reach a boil. With 5500W I can get 8 gallons to a boil in 13 minutes.

Keep in mind that 4000W is plenty, and it is always good to have a way to throttle the element to a lower setting. This is why people use PIDs with a manual output mode.

Dude are you serious? What's Indy's electric rate per KW? Maybe I should compare to LA's and consider brewing up a rig like yours....

I always assumed it would be too expensive for me...

$.126 per kwh

My HLT runs for 3 hours for $.28
My BK will do a 100 minute boil for $.90

Yes, it is cheap, reliable, no running out for propane and it is 100% silent.

Did I just hear you say that one 2000 watt element has your BK boiling in 20 minutes? SERIOUSLY? Im so looking into electric.

Another thing, If I plug an extension chord with a splitter into the wall, and then plug 2 2000 watt elements into it, will the amount of power going to each one be halved?

Did I just hear you say that one 2000 watt element has your BK boiling in 20 minutes? SERIOUSLY? Im so looking into electric.

Another thing, If I plug an extension chord with a splitter into the wall, and then plug 2 2000 watt elements into it, will the amount of power going to each one be halved?

Okay Okay... the guy with 2000W boiling in 20 minutes is BOILING 5 gallons. IF you are doing 5 gallon batches, you will be boiling about 7 gallons. Thusly you are looking at 31 minutes to reach a boil.

NOW, that being said. When I dial my 5500W element down to 3500W it maintians a rolling boil nicely. If I go much lower, the boil is very anemic. SO, my advice to you, is to plan for 3,500W MIN for a BK if you are brewing 5 gallon batches (7 gallons).

That being said, if you plave (2) 2000W elements on an extension cord with a splitter, you arent splitting the power. BOTH will be getting 120VAC and sucking up a combined 34 AMPS! I dunno about your house, but in most you have 20A circuits and you will pop the breaker pretty quick.

So if I wanted to run two of those elements simultaniously I would have to run an extension chord from two different circuits in my house?

240 is starting to look relatively easy.

So if I wanted to run two of those elements simultaniously I would have to run an extension chord from two different circuits in my house?

240 is starting to look relatively easy.

Unless you have 40A 120VAC circuits in your home, which I highy doubt. If you want to run (2) 2000W elements, you will need them on TWO separate circuits.

Running 240VAC from a box is really easy. It is one breaker, a length of wire and an outlet. Then you can run 5500W using only 23A! My control panel is powered by a single 240VAC line, which is then split to provide 240VAC to my element, and 120VAC to everything else.

I'm a small-batch brewer however. 5 gal is the absolute MAX I ever start with in the kettle. 2KW just won't cut it for full 5 gallon batches IMO.

If you were to plug 2 2KW elements into a single outlet, the best you'll get is room-temperature water as the breaker would've popped in under a second. If you brew 5 gallon (or greater) batches, you really want 240V.

Do you guys worry about "localized spot heating" (for lack of a better way to ask) with the elements or does all the liquid just disperse the heat evenly enough before that would be an issue??

I am in the building stages of a brew rig (keggles and stand) but I have not got to the final heating.. I was going to go elec. on the HLT, Elec. HERMS, propane BK... going ALL elec is very appealing though... Damn I could keep the brew rig inside where it should be. Who needs two couches anyways??

Do you guys worry about "localized spot heating" (for lack of a better way to ask) with the elements or does all the liquid just disperse the heat evenly enough before that would be an issue??

I am in the building stages of a brew rig (keggles and stand) but I have not got to the final heating.. I was going to go elec. on the HLT, Elec. HERMS, propane BK... going ALL elec is very appealing though... Damn I could keep the brew rig inside where it should be. Who needs two couches anyways??

I dont worry about such things. Once the wort begins to boil, it mixes itself. I mean, these vessles arent THAT large, the heat is pretty even. I have had no issues with my BK. I dialed in a 1.5gal/hr boil off rate at 70% power on my 5500W element

I dont worry about such things. Once the wort begins to boil, it mixes itself. I mean, these vessles arent THAT large, the heat is pretty even. I have had no issues with my BK. I dialed in a 1.5gal/hr boil off rate at 70% power on my 5500W element

Cool, that is what I was thinking, but I figured I'd ask those that have actually been doing it...

from your experiences, will a sinlge 5500w element boil a full 10 gal batch in a keggle (12 +/- gal or so when you start)??

Thanks for all of your imput!!

David

Cool, that is what I was thinking, but I figured I'd ask those that have actually been doing it...

from your experiences, will a sinlge 5500w element boil a full 10 gal batch in a keggle (12 +/- gal or so when you start)??

Thanks for all of your imput!!

David

Yes, it will. 19 minutes from sparge temp to boil

Man, that is awsome!!!

Looks like Electric is the way I'm going...

You wont be disappointed.

I have a thread called BLING BLING Electric HERMS Conversion on here with some parts, pricing and instructions.

I love my electric setup as well. When I'm batch sparging I start the element once the 1st batch sparge goes in the kettle. By the time I get the 2nd batch sparge transferring it is already bubbling quite well. Then just a few minutes later (5 maybe?) I have to turn down the element because of the violent boil.

$.126 per kwh

My HLT runs for 3 hours for $.28
My BK will do a 100 minute boil for $.90

Yes, it is cheap, reliable, no running out for propane and it is 100% silent.

If correctly calc'd my rate is about 0.121/KWH so if I can support the 240 like you said, I'm an idiot for not duping **ahem** BENCHMARKING your setup!

Thanks for the thread guys - this is good detailed info (probably repeated but still...):ban:

Latest posts

Back