I'm drinkin' a shandy... what of it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A few months ago, I brewed an American Wheat. It was still cold and miserable and I didn't want to bust out my AG set up, so it was an extract batch.

Well, it never really tasted good. And now I think it's infected. Every time I pour a pint, it's got too much pressure behind it. So I pop the pressure relief on the corny and pour a pint... and the next day I have too much pressure again. The thing is generating CO2.. and tastes kinda bland.

Like I said, it's an American Wheat with some Cascade hops. It's better than BMC, but I wouldn't call it great. I had to clean the gutters and mow the lawn today and, being on third shift now, even when the sun goes down, it's still a bit early for me to start drinking...

So I mixed up the beer with some lemonade. What the hell.

You know what? Honestly, it tasted quite a bit like a hefeweizen. It was pretty good. I poured myself two of them. And at 2%ABV after dilution, I'm still good to drive/ride/whatever...

I definitely think that American Wheat is the ideal style for making a shandy. I really don't think it'd be as good with a lager. I'm definitely going to have a few more of these tonight...

Have you tried Leinenkugels Summer Shandy? I don't mind a couple every now and then. Quite refreshing on a really hot day. It is made as wheat with lemonade added.

Nope, haven't tried it... I'm betting it's watery and bland like everything else they make. Leinie's actually scare me a little. After that Sunset wheat, I haven't touched a Leinie since!

Leinie's Shandy = HORRIBLE!! I can see how yours would taste good, but please Leinenkugels Lager with lemonade added.. Ouch.

Greg

Leinie's Shandy = HORRIBLE!! I can see how yours would taste good, but please Leinenkugels Lager with lemonade added.. Ouch.

Greg

I don;t think so. The wife loves it and I like to put a few down on a hot day myself. I think it's the best beer they make. At least the only one I would buy.

Have you tried Leinenkugels Summer Shandy? I don't mind a couple every now and then. Quite refreshing on a really hot day. It is made as wheat with lemonade added.

Sorry for jacking - but does the Summer Shandy taste artificial like the Sunset Wheat? I will try the Shandy if it doesn't taste fake...

I don't know about a shandy, but I'll pour an occasional michelada in the summer heat. Basically a beer with a good amount of lime juice and a pinch of salt. Sometimes Maggi or Worchester as well.

This is an excellent way to disguise the taste of BMC or a batch of homebrew that isn't up to par.

I love shandies! My parents always drank them in the summer - they are really refreshing and nice when you don't want something too heavy on the ABV.

We usually use the crap beer that my older siblings leave (Bud, Bud light) and mix it with carbonated lemonade. Nowadays my mom is using Heineken light.

Sorry for jacking - but does the Summer Shandy taste artificial like the Sunset Wheat? I will try the Shandy if it doesn't taste fake...
No, it doesn't. I am not a fan of the sunset wheat, but I do like the shandy.

I don't know about a shandy, but I'll pour an occasional michelada in the summer heat. Basically a beer with a good amount of lime juice and a pinch of salt. Sometimes Maggi or Worchester as well.

This is an excellent way to disguise the taste of BMC or a batch of homebrew that isn't up to par.

Isn't a michelada made with a beer and Clamato, and a chelada made with beer, salt, and lime?

I love that stuff when Im on vacation. SWMBO is heading to visit family in Green Bay on sunday and then Im meeting her at the summer house in Canada. I think I might have her bring a case or two back.

I'll second that the Shandy does not taste artificial like their Sunset Wheat. The Sunset, in mho, is terrible. SWAMBO likes it, as well as the Shandy. I can drink a Shandy or two on a hot day, but it's not my thang. But the Sunset, I dunno what it is, but it just tastes wrong. As far as Leinies in general, I've got no complaints. I learned to love a lager through them, but I'm over their beer for the most part. Their Red is pretty drinkable. Capitol Brewery is where it's at for Wisco.

The micheladas are actually beer, lime, salt and sauces (maggi, worche@#$@#, tabasco) and the cheladas are the same but without the sauces.

I'm from Mexico, so I know what I'm talking about :D

Back