More Sugar in Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slappy White

Reaction score
If i put 2.5lbs of Dextrose into a 5g batch of Apfelwein instead of 2lbs. would this just boost the alcohol? Am I at risk of gushing after I bottle if I do this? Should I leave it in the carboy longer? TIA

Added sugar will boost the abv. It may also make it a bit dryer in taste. I would think that with a higher abv you may want to let it age a bit longer, but all brews can improve with age.

It won't change how much carbonation there is, because no matter how much sugar you add, you still want it to ferment to complete dryness, meaning there is no sugar left to convert. If you want to carbonate, you still carbonate the way you would with Edwarts original recipe.

Ok...thanks...that makes sense. This is my first Apfelwein, how long should I leave it in the carboy. I am carbonating, so do I leave them in the bottles for about 3 weeks at room temp like I would do with most beers?

Latest posts

Back