sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FEARDIZ

Reaction score
I was doing an extract yesterday and after the steeping I was to sparge. Not sure if this is correct, I removed the grain bag from the boil pot gently squezzed to remove the goodies ( water )
put the grain bag in the other pot of hot clean water and rinsed a bit, gently squezzed to remove the goodies ( water )
and put the contents of the sparge pot into the boil pot and went on my way..
is this correct?
Also what effect does the sparge water temp. have if it's suppose to be 150 and it was 175ish?

thanks
John

You can sparge if you want to, but you don't have to. I just pull my grain bag out and let it drain. Also, as tempting as it is, do not squeeze the grain bag as this could release tannins from husks

thanks for the replies.. but I still don't have a good idea really on how to sparge the grains, and what effect the sparge temp has

I could be wrong but I think the sparge is mainly to help get the converted sugars from the mashed grain. If you are just doing extract w/ steeping grains I don't think it's as big of an issue since you're not doing a real mash and high efficiency isn't the goal.

+1 sparging steeped grains isn't necessary

175 is a little high, but not terrible. I'm sure you'll never notice. 170 is the max temp when grain husks are involved.

Physically, there's nothing different between sparging mash grains, and rinsing steeping grains. The difference is whether you're actually getting fermentables out of the grains or not. Running 175º water through the grainbag won't hurt anything.

Latest posts

Back