Best way to bottle & transport a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracker2

Reaction score
My son in law is going to start brewing me beer in Atlanta. I live about 2 hours away. Could someone let me know the best method for him to get the beer ready for transport? For example, should he leave it warm in the keg then let me charge it at my house, or should he do the charge first in his fridge? When I transport it do we leave it under pressure, and can you do that by just pulling the ball lock off the keg? thanks

I'd say have him charge it AND fully carbonate it at his place, then transport it under pressure.

I've transported fully carbed and cold kegs form my house to my parents house about 1 1/2 hours away for 4th of July festivities with no problems. The kegs barely warmed up. There they sat in my dads fridge for a few days before we put them each in buckets and ice for easy access and enjoyment. I had to dump about half a pint off each one and they all ran clear after that.

Have him transfer it from one keg to another via a jumper hose, leaving the yeast behind. Otherwise the yeast will cloud the beer.

I with Suds and I may take it a step further depending on style. Before transferring the cold and carbed beer to the second keg I suggest adding a packet of unflavored gelatin dissolved in a cup of warm water. As the keg fills the gelatin will mix with the beer and attach to any particles that may have come over in the transfer. Once you get it home within a couple of hours or so you should have crystal clear beer. I did this for my bil wedding rehearsal dinner and it worked perfectly. Cheers!

Back