water temperature for mashing, mash-out and spargin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am brewing tomorrow for the second time...all grain.

I am planning to mash at 158F...and I am planning to do a mash-out at 170F (I think that is adequate) and I am planning to sparge in a separate pot with 1 gallon of water. What temperature shall I aim for? By the way...this is a BIAB brewing.

Thanks.

With BIAB you can use direct heat. When I mash on my electric stove I heat it up to about 5 degrees cooler than the target temp then turn off the element and cover the mash. By the time the element cools the mash it at the target temp.

With BIAB you can use direct heat. When I mash on my electric stove I heat it up to about 5 degrees cooler than the target temp then turn off the element and cover the mash. By the time the element cools the mash it at the target temp.

Thanks for the reply. Then 5 degrees less than my mash-out temperature? 165F..if yes,

Well that is about how it works on my stove top. A gas stove might need to be at temp first. Don't worry so much about it just use a good thermometer. If it gets too hot cool it down with some ice cubes. A mash out is not that important anyway so if it's 165-172 call it good. I'm not sure how you plan on sparging. You could pour 180F water over the bag or use another pot. If you use another pot heat the water to 180 or so before putting the bag into it.

Back