Top 3 Underrated Beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have to throw Nugget Nectar on the list
Terrapin brewing's So Fresh So Green yearly line
Racer 5

Yes all IPA's....I'm sooo last year.

I'd have to throw Nugget Nectar on the list
Terrapin brewing's So Fresh So Green yearly line
Racer 5

Yes all IPA's....I'm sooo last year.

I can't say that Nugget Nectar is underrated...people go crazy over that beer when it releases. It's all personal preference, and I would never tell anybody that their tastes are wrong; but I think NN is probably the single-most overrated beer I have ever had. I never thought it was very good. Actually, last night I was drinking a Lagunitas Lucky 13 and thinking about how much better of an imperial red/amber it is than NN.

I can't say that Nugget Nectar is underrated...people go crazy over that beer when it releases. It's all personal preference, and I would never tell anybody that their tastes are wrong; but I think NN is probably the single-most overrated beer I have ever had. I never thought it was very good. Actually, last night I was drinking a Lagunitas Lucky 13 and thinking about how much better of an imperial red/amber it is than NN.

I think it's great. You really need to have it super fresh.

But, it's definitely far from underrated. It wasn't very long ago that I could barely find any because people were buying stores out of it on the day it arrived.

Lion Stout - $2.99 bombers at my neighborhood liquor store, and quite good
Surly Bender (not as ubiquitous as Furious in this area, but one of my Surly faves)
Boulevard Tank 7

Amen to Lion Stout. Talk about bang for your buck and taste for your buck. Even my BMC friends like that shiz.

All three of these are highly rated but still underrated, in my opinion, for one reason or another:

3. Lagunitas Hop Stoopid - Alot of people like to mention how good it is for the price as if it's only good because it's so cheap.

2. St. Bernardus Christmas Ale - Even better than Abt 12, in my mind.

1. Odell Myrcenary - I know this beer is held in high regard, but why it isn't as notorious as beers like Hopslam is beyond me.

My personal top three beers that I never hear about or see a lot.

Lazy Magnolia Jefferson Stout: It's brewed with sweet potatoes and is my top beer of choice.

Crooked Letter Gypsy IPA: A beautiful showcase of hops.

Lucky Town Flare Incident: A oatmeal stout that I'm partial too.

Now all of these are southern Mississippi or Louisiana beers but if you get a chance to try these don't pass you won't be disappointed!

I am south MS as well and echo those tributes whole hearted lay!!!!

My 3 are:

PBR, Coors Banquet, and Beamish.

1.) Thomas Creek Up The Creek Extreme IPA

Regarding Thomas Creek, I've never heard anyone mention this beer, this brewery, or even the state of SC when talking about favorite beers. They were a total unknown to me and I've never tried anything else of theirs, but this one is a serious winner if maltiness is your style.

As far as Weihenstephaner, their Hefeweissbier is frequently praised all over the place, but I never seem to see anyone mention the Korbinian.

I would agree with the lack of talk about Thomas Creek. Their Imperial Porter is one of the best dark beers I've ever had. Great stuff. If anyone is a porter or stout fan, give it a try. Wonderful Baltic Porter.

BreezyBrew said:
What are your fav beers to drink that might not get all that much attention? Here's my 3:

1: Stone Self Righteous Ale
2: Lagunitas Hop Stoopid
3: Dogfish Head India Brown Ale

I literally just had a hop stoopid last night. I've haven't heard a lot of fuss on this one. I'm not even a big iipa fan, but that was damn good beer. So I say good call on that one.

Straub
Carling Black Label
Michelob Amber Bock

Oh and Caffrey's Irish Ale!

1.Boxer Lager- Minhas Brewery nothing better with a plate of nachos.
2.Tank House Ale- Mill St. Brewery my go to at the beer store.
3.Hop Head IPA- Tree Brewing probably the best west coast IPA in Canada.

1. I'll also go with Lion Stout
2. Long Trail Double Bag
3. Atlantic Brewing Coal Porter
And if I were to add a 4th, I'd go with Sam Adams Boston Lager

Craft stuff gets so much love that I don't see many as underrated. I will go with these 3 as ones I like that are commercial and underrated by beer drinkers.

Bohemia
St. Pauli Girl
Smithwicks

Sixpoint sweet action
Allagash triple
Smoked beers (enjoying a schlenkeria oak smoked doppelbock right now!)

Ditto on the Schlenkerla Oak Doppelbock. It's hard to find around here, but a store near me gets in a few bottles once in a while and I buy them all out. Nothing like that smoky goodness with a nice steak dinner. I should have them order me a case when the next run of it comes out around Christmas.

Victory - Prima Pils
Genesee - 12 Horse Ale
Sam Adams - Boston Lager

I think all 3 of these are really solid beers that many of the beer enthusiasts I know turn their noses up at.
There are more beers than just super hopped up IPAs and not all lagers taste like BMC.

Victory - Prima Pils
Genesee - 12 Horse Lager
Sam Adams - Boston Lager

I think all 3 of these are really solid beers that many of the beer enthusiasts I know turn their noses up at.
There are more beers than just super hopped up IPAs and not all lagers taste like BMC.

I don't know anybody that doesn't like Prima Pils.

1. Shiner Bock and Black - not terrible beers and nothing special
2. Real Ale Pale Rye Ale
3. Heiner Brau Koelsch (from Covington, LA) - it was hard to find even in Baton Rouge when I lived there a few years ago. I think it is a nice drink for a hot day.

Bohemia is my go-to beer at Mexican restaurants. I really think it is an all around great beer and buy it pretty regularly. (didn't include it on my list because you had it listed already)

Ditto on the Schlenkerla Oak Doppelbock. It's hard to find around here, but a store near me gets in a few bottles once in a while and I buy them all out. Nothing like that smoky goodness with a nice steak dinner. I should have them order me a case when the next run of it comes out around Christmas.
Wait... Schlenkerla gets imported into the states??? Holy crap I want to find some. I had it in Germany two years ago with a delicious Schweineschäufele sitting by the Nuremberg Imperial Castle.

2. Real Ale Pale Rye Ale
3. Heiner Brau Koelsch (from Covington, LA) - it was hard to find even in Baton Rouge when I lived there a few years ago. I think it is a nice drink for a hot day.

Bohemia is my go-to beer at Mexican restaurants. I really think it is an all around great beer and buy it pretty regularly. (didn't include it on my list because you had it listed already)

Wait... Schlenkerla gets imported into the states??? Holy crap I want to find some. I had it in Germany two years ago with a delicious Schweineschäufele sitting by the Nuremberg Imperial Castle.

The liquor store I get the onesie twosies from said they could order a case of 20 1/2-liter bottles for me for about $100. I am soooo tempted to do that next winter. I likes me some Schlenkerla Oaky Smoke.

Here's my top 3 underrated

1. Founders red rye -only rye beer I've tried but it is awesome
2. Atwater vanilla java porter- never hear it talked about on here but is probably my favorite beer
3. Founders breakfast stout(not KBS)- everyone talks about KBS but not their regular breakfast stout. Soon good.

2. Real Ale Pale Rye Ale

I don't know if Real Ale Rye is so much underrated as it limited in distribution. That it, I've never heard anyone bag on it- but you won't find it in the lesser 49 states.

Back