Speedig up the process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitlaw

Reaction score
So, Having brewed 4 batches using my starter kit and bottling I want to shorten the process time at brewing and bottling. I have already decided to get off the electro range and buy a Bayou sq 14. Will putting a spigot valve in my 20 qt brew pot allow cleaner delivery to the fermenter? Or can I use nylon bags to hold pellet hops and just pour it out? I like bottles so will a bottle tree with sanitizer system help at that end?
I know there are plenty of ways to spend mo money but I want to ease into it. Any thoughts?

so, having brewed 4 batches using my starter kit and bottling i want to shorten the process time at brewing and bottling. I have already decided to get off the electro range and buy a bayou sq 14. Will putting a spigot valve in my 20 qt brew pot allow cleaner delivery to the fermenter?
It will mean you don't have to life the pot. But, if you use a ladle of some kind you still don't have to lift.

Or can i use nylon bags to hold pellet hops and just pour it out?
I don't worry about the hops in the bottlom of the bk and just dump everything into the fermenter after chilling. Again, i would ladle as i would hate to see you hurt your back or drop the bk on the floor.

I like bottles so will a bottle tree with sanitizer system help at that end?
I know there are plenty of ways to spend mo money but i want to ease into it. Any thoughts?
yes, these are handy. You can also use the dishwasher rack to drain your bottles, too.

B

Right now the night before bottling I spray each inside with a bleach solution and rinse with hot water. Tedious

I have a pot with a spigot on it and love it, but honestly the only reason I have it was because I stumbled upon a caterer going out of business. (If I put the primary on the floor and slide the pot slightly over the edge of the stove and open the valve, it aerates the wort nicely)

I bag my hops (partially so they don't plug the spigot) but it is by no means necessary.

Personally, I like the cheaper bottle tree with the handle on top. A sink of sanitizer for everything...bottles and all (I usually brew and bottle on the same day) then I can carry the whole rack over to where I'm bottling.

Get a no-rinse sanitizer (StarSan or Iodophor).

Clean bottles as you use them. Then just prior to use, rinse with the no-rinse sanitizer, empty and it is ready to go. 30 second contact time is sufficient for sanitation. You could just make up a bucketful and dunk the bottles and drain the sanitizer back into the bucket (it can be re-used).

If I use a bag for pellet hops I won't need to worry about the trub? I have not used a bag yet. If so then a spigot won't add much as I see it. Do most use the siphon?

Thanks for the bottling tips. I guess we all have variations on a theme.

Right now the night before bottling I spray each inside with a bleach solution and rinse with hot water. Tedious

I mix up some Starsan, squirt into each bottle and dump right before filling. No rinse necessary and no bottling problems. Of course, if you really wanna be quick, you gotta keg. :D

That said with one helper I can bottle a 5G batch in around an hour, provided my bottles are already clean.

I bought the vinator & 45 bottle tree,both by Ferrari. Makes sanitizing quick & easy. Not to mention,having all those bottles in a compact space readily at hand. And baging hops def keeps everything a lot cleaner & plug free. I re-learned that one after try adding the hops loose to see if any more noticable flavor could be had. The raw hop cones (mixed in with the leaves) plugged the spigot on the Fv & I lost a couple beers worth.
I also use a 3-4 foot lenght of 3/8" tubing between the bottling wand & the Italian spigot on my bottling bucket made to fit that size. I can sit down in my make shift man cave & bottle away. The video is in my profile.

I bought a blast bottle cleaner. When someone finishes off a beer (mine or another with brown pop offs such as Sam Adams) they know to wash it out with the blast, which takes all of 10-15 seconds. They are then placed in a box in the corner of my laundry room.

When the next bottling day comes up, I load all my clean (but not sanitized) bottles into my dishwasher. No detergent or anything, just precleaned bottles. Then I'll run a full heavy cycle. Heated rinse, heated dry. The bottles come out clean and dry, and HOT. That water gets close to boiling, so I'm not worried about anything surviving.

I used to do two cycles to be safe, but if the bottles are already clean I found it to be overkill. I've done about 10 batches this way so far and had no problems whatsoever. I also save money on star San.

When the next bottling day comes up, I load all my clean (but not sanitized) bottles into my dishwasher. No detergent or anything, just precleaned bottles. Then I'll run a full heavy cycle. Heated rinse, heated dry. The bottles come out clean and dry, and HOT. That water gets close to boiling, so I'm not worried about anything surviving.

I used to do two cycles to be safe, but if the bottles are already clean I found it to be overkill. I've done about 10 batches this way so far and had no problems whatsoever. I also save money on star San.

You probably spend more on the electricity to run the dishwasher than you would spend on StarSan.

I found the vinator to be the best time saver ever. The night before I bottle I wash the bottles in the dishwasher then right before I bottle I sanitize em and use the dishwasher to hold them afterwards.

Back