Micro Brewery's in the south

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhapnin

Reaction score
Headed on a road trip to New Orleans from Kansas City for our honeymoon. We don't have route planned and have talked about going as far out of the way as Charleston SC or Padre Island. We have 10 days to get there so I was hoping people in those regions could suggest some local haunts or off the beaten path brewpubs etc. Not looking for Gordon Bierch or chains just fun places that may be worth going a little out of the way. Beer flyfishing and camping are our hobbies so we will adjust quite a bit to accommodate any combo of those

Definitely check out Abita when you get to New Orleans. Also Yazoo is a cool little brewery in downtown Nashville. They charge $6 for the tour, but you get a branded pint glass to take home. Schafly is an easy stop in St. Louis. BBC in Louisville has a couple good brew pubs, though I don't think they have any organized tours. If you want a really good craft brew experience go farther north to Cleveland and do Beer School at Great Lakes.

These aren't really off the beaten path, though Yazoo and BBC aren't as well known nationally. Still, you'll get a good experience and some solid beer at any of them. I'm sure there's plenty more in between, but I know these are all good ones. Have fun on the trip!

+1 for Abita. Also Lazy Magnolia just across the river in Mississippi -- their Southern Pecan is one of my favorites. They only tour Saturdays @ 10:30 am though :(

If you come through Texas -- try Saint Arnold's in Houston, Southern Star in Conroe (just north of Houston)

Or just go to Austin and you'll have about a dozen breweries to check out :p

New brewery there called NOLA, and I highly recommend them. I normally am never impressed by blonde ales, and they made the best I've ever had. Their dry Irish stout is pretty fantastic too!

All awesome suggestions. We are narrowing it down to take a more eastern route. Looks like we are going to eureka springs Arkansas, Memphis, Nashville, Athens GA, then go down to panama city and follow the coast to NOLA. Yazoo made the list for sure and I've been pumped to hit Abita for a long time.
Keep em coming the plan for this trip is not to have a plan (other than be in New Orleans for my buddies wedding on the 1st.).

I just spent a year in Athens, and can recommend two places for you. They are both craft beer bars, and are well worth it. Trappeze pub has 26 taps and 250+ bottles and is easily one of the better craft beer bars on the East Coast.

Next up would be Aromas, in 5 points. It's the bar side of 5 points bottle shop, one of the best bottle shops in the SE part of the US. Aromas has 5-8 beers on tap, and is always a fun place to hang out. Be nice to the bartender, let 'em know you are on your honeymoon, and you'll probably get a beer or two for free.

Agreed on Yazoo, Abita, and NOLA. NOLA's hopitoulas is one of my favorite locals. And abita's turbodog. Another option in southern louisiana is Tin Roof, which just opened last year in Baton Rouge. Their Voodoo Bengal Pale Ale is tasty.

ReverseApacheMaster said:
Austin would probably be a good option. There are many brewpubs/breweries in town and I'm sure there are some camping areas close to town.

Just keep in mind the burn ban. Haven't gone camping all year because of it :(

If you decide on Charleston, definitely seek out a stop at Coast Brewing. World Class brews coming from them. Along the way I'd recommend Terrapin in Athens, Sweetwater (Atlanta) Jailhouse (Hampton). Terminal Brewhouse in Chattanooga is good. Good People Brewing in Birmingham. Lazy Magnolia in MS, and check out NOLA for sure. As far as bars and shops, Laura Alberts, and CBX in Charleston. Trappeze in Athens and 5 points bottle is the best shop in the state. Atlanta/ Decatur has Brick Store Pub ( a must) The Porter (another must) and Hop City. Downtown Decatur is beer heaven with many great pubs,restaurants and breweries. In Birmingham there's the J Clyde and Highland Package which are great.

Not beer related but....As you travel south from Kansas City consider these two restaurants:

Lambert's Cafe in Ozark, MO. Home of the throwed roll! They literally roll out a cart of hot rolls, start yelling, "ROLL," and you put your arm up in the air. then they throw it at you. Plus lots of good food.

http://www.throwedrolls.com/

Doe's Eat Place. they have several locations in Arkansas and one in Springfield, MO and one in Mississippi. Check out their website for a location. Steaks as big as your head, if not bigger.

http://www.doeseatplace.com/locations.html

Latest posts

Back