American Wheat Recipe - How's it look

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cha ngo

Reaction score
Not the sexiest recipe ever. I am trying to reproduce something like Widmer. What am I missing here? Planning a single infusion mash at around 151F and a batch sparge. I've never used wheat malt before, so let me know if this is headed for disaster please.

Wheat To Foam over

Recipe Wheat To Foam over Style American Wheat or Rye Beer
Brewer John Batch 20.00 gal
Mashed

Recipe Characteristics
Recipe Gravity 1.051 OG Estimated FG 1.013 FG
Recipe Bitterness 21 IBU Alcohol by Volume 5.1%
Recipe Color 5° SRM Alcohol by Weight 4.0%

Ingredients
Quantity Grain Use
20.00 lb American two-row mashed
18.00 lb American wheat mashed
1.00 lb Crystal 20L mashed

Quantity Hop Form Time
2.00 oz Cascade whole 30 minutes
2.00 oz Cascade whole 60 minutes

Quantity Misc Notes
4.00 unit American Ale yeast package

Recipe Notes

yeast is Safale-56

I think it looks pretty good. With that much wheat you might want a lb or 2 of rice hulls so you do not get a stuck sparge.
The only thing you might want to change is the yeast. I think wyeast 1010 will get you closer to Widmer. Brew it and then tweak the recipe to your liking.

Yeah, you might want to go with an American Hefeweizen Yeast. White Labs WLP-320 is the Widmer Strain.

When I did my Honey Wheat recipe, I was kind of going for a Widmer type beer.

The recipe is in my sig, and is really easy.

Brewsmith is right--WLP320 is perfect for that beer, and IS the Widmer strain.

Your recipe looks pretty good--with all of that malt though, you may want to up the crystal a tiny bit. Right now it equats to .25 lbs per 5 gallons, which isn't very much. You could go up to .5 lbs per 5 gallons and still be good to go.

20 gallons! That is a lot of beer!!!!

I would maybe up the hops too? if you are going to brew a hef with a lot of bana/clove profile, and 20 gallons with 4oz hops, its only 1oz per 5 gallons.. I am sure you could get away with 1.5-2oz per 5 gallons... but I guess it depends if you like your beer to have a little bite or not.. I dont know, I just think 4oz in 20 gallons of beer is going to give you very little bit, especially with only 2oz bittering...

but who knows, im probably missing somthing really important..

:mug:

*PUI - Drunken ramblings may cause death*

Kadmium said:
I would maybe up the hops too? if you are going to brew a hef with a lot of bana/clove profile, and 20 gallons with 4oz hops, its only 1oz per 5 gallons.. I am sure you could get away with 1.5-2oz per 5 gallons... but I guess it depends if you like your beer to have a little bite or not.. I dont know, I just think 4oz in 20 gallons of beer is going to give you very little bit, especially with only 2oz bittering...

I assumed his brewing software figured out the 21 IBUs for him. 21 IBUs is about right for that style--so I think he is okay with the hop amounts.

Dude said:
I assumed his brewing software figured out the 21 IBUs for him. 21 IBUs is about right for that style--so I think he is okay with the hop amounts.
You are correct sir.
This is also why I only put a pound of the 20L crystal in also. I am shooting for middle of the road for the style. 2 pounds is still in there, but at the upper limit on color. I normally don't care about staying within the confines of the guidelines but thought I would toe the line on this one.
I do 20 gallons with my partner so it is really only 10 gallons for your's truly. Seems like a lot but with my rate of consumption . . .
I think we will go 10 gallons with the S-56 and 10 with the WLP-320 and compare. I tend to avoid liquid yeast because I perceive a hassle factor there. However, I think one vial will make two one quart starters and what the Hell?
Thanks for the input folks, I really do appreciate it. I'll let you know how it turns out in about a month.

Brewsmith said:
Yeah, you might want to go with an American Hefeweizen Yeast. White Labs WLP-320 is the Widmer Strain.

For an American Hefe, these guys are completely right with the WLP320. Its clean, crisp, and fits just right. It is definately the closest to the Widmer yeast.

cha ngo said:
I think we will go 10 gallons with the S-56 and 10 with the WLP-320 and compare. I tend to avoid liquid yeast because I perceive a hassle factor there.
Well there you go. As far as dried yeasts go, if you are going clean, they are great, but if you want any kind of specialty yeast, Hefeweizen, Belgian, Kolsch, Wit, CA Common, etc. liquid yeast is the only way to go.

Back