Yeast Harvested for bread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregg Meyer

Reaction score
I took some yeast from the bottom of my secondary. i have given it to a co-worker who has added sugar, flour and water to make a sponge. it has doubled in size in 24. has anyone ever made bread with this yeast from beer.Is it awesome or gross. I think it will be amazing but hey what do I know. NOT MUCH

Will this turn out good? Good tasting like a beer bread or sour dough?

Gregg,

It should be the same yeast which is used for baking.
The slight beer flavor in the bread it should be excellent.

I didn't state this earlier but I make my own bread also by hand but I wanted the
opinion of someone else that may have already done this. My co-worker is a
bread freak soi he will be stoaked to hear about what is baking will be this weekend.

I can't wait to taste it also. handmade breads with real butter and home brew. I can now go to heaven!!!!!

Gregg,

Have you ever tried incorporating spent grains from beer into your breads? I would think that would be excellent!

best results would be to get the yst used to the new food. Feed it for about a week.
!/4 cup water and two big soons of flour/ stir. let sit. add water flour. let sit.pour some out. addwater flour, etc. Three times per day is best.
Keeping a bread starter is like keeping a pet. I kept one alive for three years.
This starter I've made twice succesfully; a bunch of grapes(pick out the bad ones but don't wash) plop into bucket (the whole bunch - handle as little as pos) and feed as above but more of both. After 4 days strain out the solids. Feed for another week. Voila' sourdough starter.` You will, of course, have to throw some out (the larger the starter the more you should feed it) or better, bake often.
When not baking, feed only once or twice per day. like a pet

I add spent grains to my bread doughs a lot. In my experience they tend to weigh your loaf down unless you cook them a little bit more--until they really resemble hot cereal--and then use them as the liquid component of the dough. They seem to incorporate better that way. It's sort of a hit and miss prospect, but always an adventure. Another thing I like is using a few tablespoons of uncrushed, dry crystal malt or special B--they tend to get sweet and chewy, almost like grain-raisins.

Latest posts

Back