Doppelbock Nottagoat Optimator (dopplebock)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ziggybrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 838
Yeast Starter
3-day mini-beer
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
43 @ 52 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
180 & 44 degrees
Tasting Notes
Malty, yet crisp & smooth, not too hoppy. A very traditional bock-bock taste
It is probably my best beer to date. :mug:

Amount /Item Type/ % or IBU:

7.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 50.74 %
7.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 47.36 %
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 1.69 %
0.03 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 0.20 %
1.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 23.7 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
8.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Southern German Lager (White Labs #WLP838) Yeast-Lager

43 days in the primary was unplanned but it came out crystal clear and delicious (even at this early of a stage) In a few months I will be in heaven.

Ziggybrew said:
It is probably my best beer to date. :mug:

1 Pkgs Southern German Lager (White Labs #WLP838) Yeast-Lager

43 days in the primary was unplanned but it came out crystal clear and delicious (even at this early of a stage) In a few months I will be in heaven.

I brewed my own recipie with WLP 820. That yeast
Is supposed to be a slow one so I made and stepped a starter 4 times to get a ****-ton of yeast ( OG 1.077 ) and I aerated the bejesus out of it too.' that was 35 days ago and I'm still waiting for FG!
I though my situation was uniqe and a little self inflicted cause I started ramping the temp down before it hit FG but I tried like hell to get this to go quickly for this yeast by over pitching and aerating but it will not be rushed.

What did you do for yeast ( starter) and air ? 45 days seems like forever.

branding-iron316 said:
Any ideas on how to turn it into an extract recipe?

A good rule of thumb is .75 lb extract for every lb of grain. You can steep the smaller amount of grains at 155 or so for 30 min to impart the right flavor profile and add some catapults for body. I did that for my first beer which was a troquair house ale clone and it turned out great.

What temperature did you ferment at?

63 F for three days, 54 F for several weeks (Maybe 6). Not a "by-the-book lager" but it was delicious anyway. Served at 41 F a couple of weeks later. Just couldn't wait several months :)

Since then I brewed a NewCastle Brown Ale Clone that turned out better than the commercial version... and way better than I ever expected period. Yum

Latest posts

Back