Proper post fermentation sugar additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Belgina Dark Strong, and after it was chilled, in the fermenter and the yeast was pitched, I realized I had forgotton my sugar addition. The recipe called for 1lb of sucrose. After checking my gravity I was off somewhat, and realized I ended up with a larger volume than intended. My sparge volume was off, regardless, in order to bring the gravity up to my estimated OG of 1.103, I calculated the need to add 2.5 lbsof sugar. 1.5lbs more than Beersmith stated it called for.

At any rate I have already added the sugar, but I need some reassurance I did it properly.

I placed the 2.5lbs of turbinado sugar into a sauce pot. I added one cup of water, a pinch of citric acid, and I started the heat. I brought the temperature up to 230F to make a syrup, and chilled it.

I found the syrup was really thick. I slowly added the syrup to the beer in the fermenter, while gently stirring with a (sanitized) spoon, avoiding aeration.

My question is, did do this right?

Was making a syrup the correct thing to do?

I think the beer was over 7% ABV before adding the sugar, so was it necessary to boil the sugar before adding it (I did so as insurance, I did not want to ruin this batch of beer over laziness)?

I have read that it is actually better to add the sugar post primary fermentation to avoid under attenuation issues because the yeast tend to eat the simple sugars first, so by adding the simple sugars after the brunt of fermentation is complete there is less chance of the yeast not finishing their duties.

Having said that, I had to stir the crap out of it to get the syrup to dissolve in the 68F beer. I wouldn't even want to try to get granulated sugar to dissolve, the syrup was hard enough.

I stirred as gently as possible, and was pretty successful in dissolving the syrup into the beer.

So I'll ask again, did I do this properly?

I think you are going to be OK though you may need to rouse the yeast, give it a while and see where the gravity stabilizes after the krausen drops.

Having been there done that I pull a hydrosample as soon as I have "everything" in the kettle at the beginning of the boil and measure a volume (scratchmarks on brewing spoon)

During the boil I can get the hydro sample cooled off, measure that gravity and know what my final volume is going to be ...

When you are done you are going to have beer, don't worry.

The yeast was roused, I constantly stirred while adding the syrup I made. I actually had to take my airlock off and put my blow-off hose back on about 2 hours after adding the sugar, the yeast were in a feeding frenzy!

I am usually really good about measuring my sparge water additions, I don't know exactly what happened this last brew day.

I always manage to measure all three of my runnings, but it never fails, I have a complete mental block against taking a pre-boil SG.

I hope this one turns out well, I'm concerned that the larger amount of sugar will make the beer too thin, only time will tell.

Thanks for your feedback!

Back