What to do after lager?Making a Oktoberfest Lager using White Labs Octoberfest(WLP820

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evstakiev

Reaction score
Do I just have to and bottling sugar? Or do i have to add more yeast?
Brewing details bellow, sound good? What do you suggest I change?

I plan on keeping it in primary for 3 weeks at 11-15 C (52-58 F)
Then raise temp to room temp for 2 days (Too kill butterscotch flavors)
Then lager in Secondary for 3-4 months at 3-4 C (37-40 F)
Raise Temp to room temp, add bottling sugar, then bottle condition for 3 weeks

OG should be 1.062
FG should be 1.019

Yeast details
Attenuation: 65-73%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 52-58°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

The details sound great, really good for the clean style of the German lagers. You'll still want to prime your beer with extra dextrose or corn sugar but in a smaller amount than usual as your FG is quite high, but be aware that with a bottom fermenting yeast you'll be still fermenting at cold lagering temps so do a final hydrometer reading to determine the amount of prime to use, as a lazy rule of thumb I just chuck in 1tsb of dextrose per 750ml bottle aye. Even if the beer is clear there will still be enough yeast in solution to carbonate, just leave for about 1month to get it good!

Let me know how it works out for you, i'm actually brewing an oktoberfest beers this weekend for a 'mocktober' fest with my friends at the end of September!

Back