Mash tun upgrade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagg

Reaction score
I just aquired a 22 gallon stainless kettle, I will be needing a larger mash tun, I currently have the keggle for a boiler, and a 10 gallon rubbermaid mash tun, my question is what kind, and size of cooler mash tun do some of you use for bigger batches? I will be shooting for app. 18 gallons post boil volumes, I found a 100 quart coleman marine cooler, has anyone used these for a mash tun? If so, what did you think? Any suggestions, tips, other, will be appreciated, thanks.:mug:

I would strongly consider a 30 gallon HDPE plastic barrel. I used to use one for 15 gallon batches (25 gallon BK). I now use a 55 gallon HDPE barrel to make 30 gallon batches. These things are thick (2.2 mm), sturdy and cheap. They hold heat well and you can add additional insulation.

I would strongly consider a 30 gallon HDPE plastic barrel. I used to use one for 15 gallon batches (25 gallon BK). I now use a 55 gallon HDPE barrel to make 30 gallon batches. These things are thick (2.2 mm), sturdy and cheap. They hold heat well and you can add additional insulation.

I would agree and also suggest a stainless steel false bottom.

Oh I don't know. It really depends on whether he intends to batch sparge or fly sparge. If batch sparging is the goal, a braid in a $58 120qt cooler sounds pretty good.

Walmart.com: Igloo Polar 120-quart Cooler: Camping

It's already insulated and has a lid. If you had access to nearly free barrels, I'd agree with that. You'd still want to insulate if you're not running a RIMS/HERMS.

I intend to batch sparge with this setup, I thought about trying to figure out a way to sparge on the fly, but the batch sparge is just too dang easy, and Im getting consistent 78% Brewhouse effeciency, I just cant see the benefit of fly sparging, I think I will go ahead and get the 120 that BobbyM posted (thanks Bobby for the link) I still have to get a 3/4" ball valve to fit this huge kettle, Ill post the results when I get around to using this system, thanks for the replies everyone.:mug:

Back