Can you Brew It recipe for Uinta Wyld Extra Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

Just a quick reminder that all of this information is possible because of the hard work of Jamil and Tasty. Please listen to the show, whether live, on the Brewing Network website, or subscribe on iTunes. I credit much of my progress as a brewer to listening to the shows on The Brewing Network. If you enjoy those shows and the information, please consider donating. Also, please support the show's sponsor, Northern Brewer.
If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1049
SRM 6.2
IBU 13
FG 1012

90 minute boil

3.77kg Great Western Pale Malt 70%
540g Munich 10lov. 10%
670g Carapils 12.5%
400g Crystal 20lov. 7.5%

Mash at 155F

6.58 Amarillo 10%AA 60'
11g Simcoe 13% 5'
22g Simcoe 0'
22g Simcoe dry hop

WLP001

Ferment at 64 degrees, ramp up to 70 over five days

Notes: Tasty says that he does use gypsum, but not as much as in an IPA.

Thanks for posting this. I just listened to this show, and happened to pick up a Wyld at the store last night. This may very well be my next brew.

I understand CYBI recipes use Rager for IBU. Uinta website lists the ibu's at 29 whereas this recipe says 13 rager ibu. I assume the brewery probably uses tinseth which would mean the Rager ibu equivalent would around 40 ibu. So what's the deal?

Has anyone brewed this yet? 13 rager ibu seems awefully low. I had this beer and I would have guessed it to be about 30 ibu.

I tried this beer, the original not the clone, its fn awsome. I'm gonna brew this clone next. I couldn't believe it was 13% carapils, so I wrote an email to Kevin Ely at Uinta, here's what he said.

"Hello Bob,
Great to hear. You are close, it is actually 69% Organic Pale 2-row, 11% M10, 13% Carapils, 7% C20.
Good Luck,
Kevin Ely
Production Manager
& Head Brewer
Uinta Brewing Company"

The most carapils I've ever used is 3.3%, I never would have thought to try 13%, but this beer is awsome. Another thing not mentioned yet in this thread is the carb level, Uinta carbs the Wyld to 2.75 volumes. In the CYBI interview Will from Uinta says its around 45 IBU's. I'd agree it tastes around 30 IBU's, but I wonder if its the carapils balancing the 45 IBU's down. I think I'm gonna bitter it to 40 IBU's tinseth. Did I mention this beer is fn awsome.

Wow thats off from the podcast. Wonder who is right.

I've used about 10% carapils before with no problem, but not in conjunction with another 20% of crystal malt. 31% total crystal seems way higher than I remember it tasting.

I'm going to change this recipe up a bit because I'm a little skeptical about that much crystal and the low IBUs. It seems like it will be a malt bomb instead of the hop bomb I tasted.

Brewing this weekend.

Hmmm. I don't really think of Munich 10 as a crystal. I'm sure it adds some sweetness, but I don't think you could compare it to a crystal 10. From what I've read, I'm thinking Munich is kilned at a higher temp then a crystal. I could definetly be wrong about this, I gotta read more.

Oops, you're right. I added wrong. :eek:

Still seems like it's going to be sweet though. I put it into beersmith and the Tinseth IBU came to 9.5.

I'm bumping it up to about 30 ibu's.

Im brewing this recipe this week and when inputed into promash I ended up with exactly what was posted here and stated in the podcast. They did state that they did a 30 minute whirlpool so when I added an extra 25 minutes to all the hops I get an IBU over 40. Because I dont do the extened whirlpool Im thinking of uping the bittering hops to make it around 40 ibus. Also doing a 10 gallon batch and using the WLP 530 in half with an amarillo dryhop. Ill post back with notes when done.

It has been in primary for 3 wks now, just checked FG @ 1.010. tasted it warm and flat and was excellent!!! Ive never had Unitas beer but brewed on a whim these two kegs will rock in 2 weeks. When I punched this beer up in Bsmith the bittering IBU's were way off. Adding extra 10 min for my whirlpool (the recipe calls for 30 min before cooling) to each of the hops it bumped the IBU calculations up closer to actual values.

Crash cool. transfer, dry hop and carb. is where this beer is.

My changes in red

90 minute boil

3.77kg Great Western Pale Malt 70%
540g Munich 10lov. 10%
670g Carapils 12.5%
400g Crystal 20lov. 7.5%

Mash at 155F Mash at 153F

6.58 Amarillo 10%AA 60' 28g!!! per 12g batch (preboil)
11g Simcoe 13% 5'
22g Simcoe 0'
22g Simcoe dry hop

WLP001 (White labs german kolsh/two step starter)

Ferment at 64 degrees, ramp up to 70 over five days

Notes: Tasty says that he does use gypsum, but not as much as in an IPA.None used

Here's my first clone attempt at the Wyld, well kinda

wyldsinglehopcrystal.jpg

I went with 69% pale, 11% munich 10, 13% carapils, 7% cara 20. I added 3 oz of Acid malt, and 5 grams Calcium Chloride to my mash for a 6 gallon batch, I use Poland Springs water. I mashed at 155 for 90 mins and came in 1 point high for a preboil gravity of 1.040. Boiled for 70 mins, this is what I usually boil for, but I guess I boiled to much, I was shooting for 1.049 OG and got 1.053. I used all late addition Crystal hop pellets, 20 mins or less, bittered to 40 IBU's tinseth. Fermented with a 2 liter starter of Wyeast 2565 starting at 58F and letting it rise to 63F, then held at 63. Dry hopped with 4 oz Crystal on day 7. Started the crash cool on day 12. Plate filtered coarse on day 16. Picture was taken on day 20.
Since I didn't use Simcoe and Amarillo, I can't compare it exactly to the Wyld, not that I could find another 6 pack out here in Boston if I wanted to anyway. But I will say it's good. From what I remember of the Wyld, I really liked the late hop flavor I got, alot of sweet tropical fruit, with a touch of pine, the Wyld I had was a little old and I think most of the dry hop flavor had faded. I think that sweet tropical fruit flavor is from linalool from very late hop additions, like 1 minute or less and some whirlpool time, Uinta has about an hour whirlpool time until they start the cooling if I remember correctly from the CYBI interview. I didn't give it any whirlpool time, but I hit it big with late hop additions 10,5,0,-5 ( all were 2 oz adds with the exception of the -5 that was only 1 oz).
So my OG was 1.053 instead of the 1.049 I was looking for, and my FG came in at 1.014 instead of the 1.012 target. All of my previous beers have been mashed at 150 and finish at 1.010-1.012, so I think the combo of the 13% carapils and the 155 mash temp kept my FG high. The Wyeast 2565 had the biggest Krausen of any yeast I've used so far, so prepare to have a blow off tube handy.
I'll make this beer again, but I'm gonna try a single hop Sterling next time, I wish I could get my hands on some Citra and single hop with that.

Here's a cool article on linalool if you're interested
http://beersensoryscience.wordpress.com/2012/02/16/linalool-fresh-and-floral-hop-aroma/

Here's my first clone attempt at the Wyld, well kinda

wyldsinglehopcrystal.jpg

So I entered this kinda clone in a local comp, and today I received the scoresheets
Link to scoresheet 1
Link to scoresheet 2
It scored a 39 and a 37, and took 1st place in the American Ales category, and 3rd place BOS. I'm pretty psyched, it's the best I've ever done in a comp.
Anyway, I did make a mistake in the kinda clone I made, I used Pale Ale malt, instead of just Pale malt, I didn't realize they were different, but I'm gonna keep using the Pale Ale malt, and as I wrote before I used all Crystal hops.
I just made another batch using the same grain bill I used, but this time I used all Sterling hops. I changed the hop schedule a little too, in the last beer I used a -5 minute hop addition and just kept chilling, but this time on the recommendation from James Altwies from Gorst Valley Hops I changed it. I still added a 0 minute addition and started chilling, but this time I stopped the chilling at 120 degrees and then I added another hop addition. I held the 120 F for 20 minutes, then continued chilling to pitching temps. The purpose of this 120 degree 20 minute hop stand is to extract hop oils at a temp that the oils don't just vaporize off. The -5 minute add I did last time gave some excellent hop aroma, I'm hoping this new hop stand method will give me even more.
I made one other change to this new Sterling batch, instead of using 3 oz of Acid malt, I'm using 9.5ml of 10% Phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid is suppose to provide a more flavor neutral acid than the Acid malt(which is Lactic acid).
I think this WYLD grain bill is a great recipe to use as a Single Hop base, or probably any pale base. I can't wait to taste the Sterling batch I got cold crashing now, it was kicking off an almost woody type of aroma while it was fermenting. Up next I'm using the same grain bill again and doing a Single Hop Amarillo.

Here's a link to James Altweis from Gorst Valley Hops talking on the beersmith podcast about the 120 degree hop stand.
http://beersmith.com/blog/2012/05/13/hop-chemistry-and-beer-with-james-altwies-beersmith-podcast-38/

Great looking beer Buna Bere. I find it interesting you used Crystal hops and Kolsch yeast in this beer. I recently made a kolsch with 3oz/5gal as a FWH addition. While young, I really got a grapefruit/citrus character (flavor and aroma) from this single addition, not unlike what your judge sheets noted. Yet when the beer has aged a bit, I think those have subsided and now it's more spicy. Anyhow, what was the Crystal hop schedule you used on yours? Did the 120F stand with the Sterlings prove worthwhile? In the few beers I've done this with I've always dryhopped, which would mask the contribution by the hop stand. Any comment on this? Thanks!

Great looking beer Buna Bere. I find it interesting you used Crystal hops and Kolsch yeast in this beer. I recently made a kolsch with 3oz/5gal as a FWH addition. While young, I really got a grapefruit/citrus character (flavor and aroma) from this single addition, not unlike what your judge sheets noted. Yet when the beer has aged a bit, I think those have subsided and now it's more spicy. Anyhow, what was the Crystal hop schedule you used on yours? Did the 120F stand with the Sterlings prove worthwhile? In the few beers I've done this with I've always dryhopped, which would mask the contribution by the hop stand. Any comment on this? Thanks!

Thanks. I've been using Crystal hops since I heard John Maier from Rogue talk about them in a Brewing Network interview. It's funny, to me I just get alot of sweet fruit aroma and taste from them, but like you and those judges noted, alot of grapefruit coming through. I did a Single Hop Crystal Amber Ale a while ago and the judges in that comp described a sweet fruit melon like aroma, which is what I got too.
Here's the hop schedule I used for the Pale Ale
6 gallon batch size
Crystal hops 5.20%AA
2.70 oz Crystal 20 mins 26.8 IBU's
2.00 oz Crystal 10 mins 11.9 IBU's
2.00 oz Crystal 5 mins 6.5 IBU's
2.00 oz Crystal 0 mins start chilling here
1.00 oz Crystal -5 mins temp was around 180F
4.00 oz Crystal dry hop added day 7, started crash cooling day 12.

IBU's total out to 45.3, I add a 2 liter starter made out of the same wort but unhopped, so I figure it dilutes the 45.3 IBU's down to about 40.
As for the Sterling, I posted a pic here in the HBT photo forum, here's a link
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/new-post-picture-your-pint-285100/index44.html#post4280365
I didn't really like it, to me it just tasted like Saaz, lots of aroma and taste but just all Saaz. In fact I still got at least 3 gallons kegged left, and I'm probably gonna dump it. I don't even think it's worth bottling. I can't say for certain the 120 degree 20 min hop stand added much more aroma or taste, but I'll probably try it again in a future batch. I will say in my next batch an Amarillo Single Hop Pale Ale I'm just going back to the -5 minute hop addition and skipping the hop stand, and also I'm going back to the 3 oz Acid malt over the Phosphoric acid.
I think you're right the dry hop masks some of the hop stand addition, but only for a week or so. As the dry hop fades, the late hop additions come through more and more. I just cracked open one of the last bottles of the Single Hop Crystal Pale I brewed on 4/1, bottled 5/3, and surprisingly it still has alot of the same aroma. I think it's hard to go wrong with Crystal, I bet that Kolsch you made was delicious.

I just brewed this extract version:

Safale US-05

6lb Northern Brewer Organic Light LME

1lb Organic Carapils
.5lb Organic C-20L

1oz Amarillo pellets @60
1oz Simcoe leaf hops @2
1oz Simcoe leaf dry hop last 5 days in the fermenter

It spent 10 days in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary, and it's been 2 weeks in the bottle so far. Luckily, I found Wyld at a local whole foods for the first time since I originally had it. I've only had 2 bottles of Wyld before that I got from a friend, and it was easily one of my favorite pale ales I've ever had, and I haven't been able to find it since, so I decided to brew it.

----------

The first comment I got from the first person I let try this beer was "did you put fruit in it", which I laughed at. Anyway pouring and tasting it next to the original here's my comparison...

Appearance: My beer is a shade darker, a little cloudy

Maltiness: My beer has slightly more malt flavor but not much at all, if at all. My beer definitely has (slightly) more mouthfeel and body, where the Wyld is more crisp and light.

Hop Character: The hop character is where I really noticed a difference. The Wyld doesn't taste like I remember it, and my homebrew tastes more like what I remember Wyld tasting like. My brew tastes only slightly bitter, and has a fruity, grapefruit smell from all the simcoe hops. Also, any bitterness of the hops is kind of smoothed out because although this is a low gravity beer, it still has a lot of body. The body and grape fruitiness make the hop character more pleasant than just plain old bitter.

Today the wyld has a slight dry, bitter hop taste that is kind of off putting. The "bottled on" date for the wyld I bought is in mid april so I'm blaming time. I prefer my beer vs this 4 month old Wyld.

----------

Here's my extract recipe version 2 that I will be brewing in February in preparation for Spring time barbecuing. First off I'm lowering the fermentables because I'm pretty sure my beer is around 4.9% abv, at least according to brew calculators, I don't take a gravity readings. I added Victory malt since I can't mash munich, otherwise I'd be using that. Also I'm adding some whirlfloc to clear it up. I'm also debating adding maltodextrin, not sure if I actually need it though. Lastly I'm switching to liquid yeast. If I invest in a fridge for my fermenter I will switch to white lab's kolsch hybrid yeast, but we'll see.

WLP001

5lb Northern Brewer Organic Light LME

1lb Organic Carapils
.5lb Organic C-20L
.25lb Victory

1oz Amarillo pellets @60
1oz Simcoe Leafs @2
1oz Simcoe Dry Hop last 5 days in the fermenter

1 Whirlfloc tablet @10

Hey folks: I just tapped my version. Brewed on 9-23 and drank the first pint on 10-13. Incredibly fast 'drinkability'. I am having a bunch of cyclist friends over and my ESB kinda sucked. So Id ecided to carb and tap it since it tasted good at cold crash. Only single fermented it, transferred to keg and crashed it. The early drinkable one used the WLP01 yeast, The WLP 400 is still conditioning. I brewed 12 gallons, divided into 6 gallons and pitched different yest. The 01 was clean, malty background and hop in front. Excellent!! Might be my go to pale....if Simcoe is available.
Wyld extra Pale Ale
American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 10/1/2012
Batch Size: 12.00 gal
Brewer:
Boil Size: 14.45 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: kegs
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
16.62 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.07 %
2.95 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 12.45 %
2.38 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 10.04 %
1.76 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 7.43 %
0.47 oz Amarillo Gold [10.80 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 9.4 IBU
1.55 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.78 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (5 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
1.55 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.36 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.08 %
Bitterness: 12.0 IBU Calories: 247 cal/pint

balto charlie, what kind of bitterness did you get with this beer? Did you do a whirlpool addition / hop steep after flameout or just straight to chill? A calculated 13 IBU versus a reported 30-40 IBU from the brewery is quite a difference.

I think it's hard to go wrong with Crystal, I bet that Kolsch you made was delicious.

I wanted to like it but I think I need to go back to the drawing board. I think my FWH addition turned out more like a full standard 90 minute. I "think" I got a lot more bitterness than I expected, even though I still feel I got some hints of flavor and aroma. The yeast is new to me so that might contribute something of what I'm getting. First thing that comes to mind is a citrus pithiness, with the pithiness dominating. I wonder if I need to let the FWH stand awhile instead of heating to boil right away as the first and second runnings fill the kettle. Otherwise, I thought the low co-humulone Crystal wouldn't have been as harsh as it may have been. :confused:

Before Jamil had this on CYBI, I had been trying to clone this beer for a long time. This is a fantastic beer!

My opinion: trust the hop charge in the recipe Jamil used. The IBU's at around 13 is correct for the beer. Tasting my brew side by side with Wyld showed that the bitterness was similar. I think 30-40 IBUs would blow this low gravity grain bill away from pale ale into IPA territory.

Before the CYBI episode I had been using Simcoe exclusively or also in combo with Centennial or Cascade. Good but not Wyld. Based on the CYBI recipe, making that change to the Amarillo and Simcoe combo made all the difference!

Cheers

I'm really surprised you guys like the beer so much. Unita is a local brewer and I picked up a 3-beer variety 12-pack of their organic beers. I choked down the other two organic beers but still have 2 of the WYLD bottles left from about 10 months ago. Guess I'll clear my palate and give these another shot.

I'm really surprised you guys like the beer so much. Unita is a local brewer and I picked up a 3-beer variety 12-pack of their organic beers. I choked down the other two organic beers but still have 2 of the WYLD bottles left from about 10 months ago. Guess I'll clear my palate and give these another shot.

Well, in all fairness trying an almost year old low abv pale ale probably won't be the best judge of the beer, right?

balto charlie, what kind of bitterness did you get with this beer? Did you do a whirlpool addition / hop steep after flameout or just straight to chill? A calculated 13 IBU versus a reported 30-40 IBU from the brewery is quite a difference........

I wonder if I need to let the FWH stand awhile instead of heating to boil right away as the first and second runnings fill the kettle. Otherwise, I thought the low co-humulone Crystal wouldn't have been as harsh as it may have been. :confused:

I also got a 13 but it taste much hoppier. I just added at the end of boil as I turned off the heat and started chilling. Not certain Beer Smith did it correctly but the hops are stronger than 13 IBUs. Very balanced Pale Ale, drinking one now. 3 weeks from brew pot to mouth.

Given the tiny amount of Amarillo used in this recipe, and the fact that it's a 60 min addition, I should be able to get away with a basic bittering hop like Magnum, right? Would stick with the all the other elements (grain, Kölsch yeast, simcoe late additions). Looking for an APA different than what I typically brew, which are more like Sierra Pale, or Founders dry-hopped pale.

So do they use just organic base malt? Or is it all the malts? I see briess makes all those as organic. Also, I wonder about the hops are those organic too?

Has anyone brewed this lately and tried using Apollo or Centennial hops in place of Amarillo? I haven not, but am curious. I have brewed something very close many times with Cascade and its a wonderful brew, but I want to try with different early hops.

I'm brewing a 3 gallon batch of this tomorrow, I scaled down Balto Charlie's recipe and compared it to Jamil's.

Three questions Balto:

1. Did you mash at 155 F? If not what was mash temp.
2. What temp did you ferment?
3. Did you force carbonate or simply keg around 14 days and let carbonate for another 7 days?

I'm looking to brew this up. Being from UT, I get to drink this on a regular basis. It is my go-to at my neighborhood pub. Being so familiar with the real deal, I want to see how close I can get to a clone.

My big question is on the hops/IBU. Beersmith is calculating ~10 IBU, but Uinta's website states 29 IBU. I'm hoping to hear from folks who have done a side by side and whether you adjusted your hops bill or not, and how did it turn out?

Uinta whirlpools for 30 minutes. That would be where the exta IBUs come from.

If you can't do the whirlpool, probably use a little more Simcoe.

Hey thanks Beernik, good to know. As a matter of fact I just got my whirlpool port for my BK in the mail today, courtesy of brewhardware. 😊

I just picked up all the ingredients for this from the LHBS. Will be brewing this up over the weekend.

Can someone scale this to 3 gallons. Ive got the grains figured out in WORT on my phone but i want to get the hop additions corrects. Grams are greek to me ;)

I just kegged this up last night. The smell coming from the fermenter was spot on. Hydro sample tasted pretty close as far as flat warm beer goes. It should be carbed up in a few days and I cant wait to try it.

Back