Kegerator. Build it, or buy it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentEhrman

Reaction score
I recently decided that I was going to build my own kegerator. After looking into the cost of everything, I started to wonder if it's really even much of a money saver to build your own. I've even got a line on a possible free freezer and the numbers still aren't that great.

Here's what's on my list so far: 3 faucet tap - minimum of $150ish, Temp control - $60, 5 lb bottle - $60, Regulator - $40, Drip trey - minimum $15, connectors - $65ish. That's $390 without a tower cooling fan, and I'm not positive I will be able to fit 3 in my freebie yet.. Plus shipping.

I have found 3 tap kegerators for under $600. The only problem is, the shipping is $120. I don't think anybody in Nebraska is going to carry anything like this, much less would they be close to this price.

Now that I am contemplating, I am wondering if the quality of a cheap Haier would be as durable as something I would build. Can anyone tell me if the Haier's will last a long time?

Any thoughts on building vs buying. The bought version is probably going to look better given my skill level in building it. For a bit more $$, is it worth it? Has anyone found a place that ships kegerators for FREE?? I just want something that will last many years if I'm going to shell out $600 or more..

Don't get discouraged- build if you want. Not that hard and you built it! Deals can be found every where,especially here.

I've also been thinking about building, but pretty sure I'm going with the single tap Nostalgia for $350 (from amazon with free shipping since I've got the Prime membership).
Kind of a goof up on my part, because I originally wanted a conversion fridge for the same price and already ordered the CO2 setup. I may try to swap the components.

I want to build one someday too, but just wanted something I didn't have to worry about screwing up for my first time kegging. I bought a Beer Meister 2-tap and been using it a little over a month now. Yes, you pay a little more for this than say a Danby or Nostalgia unit, but you know what...you get what you pay for!!! It's a great unit! I also paid a little more for the stainless steel to match the kitchen appliances.

I have the digital display set @ 32F, comes out of the tap @ 34F. Love it! It comes with a tower cooling fan installed so the beer stays cold in the tubing. They also have a 3-tap model. It came with everything you need (hoses, quick connects, 5lb co2 tank, dual gauge regulator, drip tray, top rail for glasses, and 2 corny kegs)! Even the 2-tap model can hold 3 corny kegs.

Here's the model I bought - http://beermeisters.com/product/dua...teel-door-homebrew-value-line-2-kegs-included

Keep your eye on Craig's list, Search for keg, kegs, or CO2. People list kegerator's with a lot of different names. I recently picked up a functional but UGLY full size kegerator that can hold three cornies and a CO2 bottle for $60. I got a e tower tap from a HBT'r for 50.

I also built a Sanyo two tap a long time ago, in the end i think it cost me 400 to build.

There are deals out there you just have to find them.

I spent way too much money on my 3-tap keezer, but I'd build it again in a second. For me it was less about the $$$ than the fun of building it myself, plus I learned a lot.

I've bought and build... BUILD! It was cheaper, customizable, and used higher quality parts (Perlick faucets are rad).

image-3658973359.jpg

The Beermeister is a customized Danby....

I just bought a Danby from Walmart.com and had it shipped to the store for free for $450. It's the big Danby with the digital control and stainless front. The nice thing is it comes with a 5 gallon CO2 (vs a 2.5 tank by Nostalgia or Kegco) and has a removable plug to run your gas line outside. Most of the negative reviews online seem to be with older units but I don't have any solid evidence the company addressed certain issues like temp control. Mine is plenty cold and is extremely quiet.

I bought a new dual tap stainless tower with Perlick faucets, a new Taprite regulator (easy to adjust w/o a screwdriver) and I'm awaiting some Tygon Silver tubing to eliminate any plastic off taste. Basically, I just doubled the price....

The most difficult part of the entire process is getting a unit damage free during shipping. Mine had a small dent in the back (nobody sees it). I think the unit is gorgeous.

Weigh your options. If you're OK with a single tap tower, the Danby is a bargain (and you can always upgrade later). Keep in mind how inconvenient dealing with inspecting your unit off a truck versus picking it up from a local Walmart who will give you no hassles with exchanging or returning. And the shipping is free (to your local store).

I decided to go the build route. I got an older refrigerator on Craigslist, which I wanted, for 200. I got a conversion kit with 2 ball lock kegs, 2 perlick 575s, 2 regulators, 5lb co2, and all the tubing and hardware from KegCowboy for 440 shipped. Check out KegCowboy they usually have discount codes on this forum as well. I like the idea of having done everything myself.

I suggest building. Not only is it fun and a bit cheaper, but allows you to fully customize your kegerator. One of my favorite parts about using a fridge rather than a freezer (keezer) is the ability to store hops in the freezer. Here's what I did for my 3 tap kegerator:

- Fridge off of Craigslist for $60
- 3 Perlick SS combos from Birdman Brewing for $180 ($60 per)
- 3 gas-in and 3 liquid-out disconnects from MoreBeer (pin lock) for $36 ($5.99 per)
- 18' of 3/16" beverage line from MoreBeer for $11.70
- 16' of 5/16" gas line from MoreBeer for $9.60
- Dual gauge CO2 regulator from MoreBeer for $45
- 3-way gas manifold from MoreBeer for $37.50
- 10 lb reconditioned CO2 tank from Beverage Elements for $74 (after shipping)
- 2 10 packs of stainless hose clamps from Home Depot for $12 ($6 per)

I buy my kegs from Keg Connection for about $35 (again, I'm a pin lock guy) since they offer $7.95 shipping.

MoreBeer offers free shipping on orders over $59, so the only shipping charges I didn't add in are those from Birdman Brewing, which I believe was close to $10. The total for my entire 3 tap kegerator build was just under $500. All you need is a good hole saw ($12 or so) and a level, if you want your taps even. Once my holes were drilled, the entire build took me about 3 hours... super easy, and the kegerator is awesome!

Hope this helps. Cheers!

I personally didn't enjoy building mine, but I'm glad I did. The main reason being I don't know of any kegerators out there you can buy that have 5 taps. If you do build, I suggest getting a freezer that can hold at least 2 more than you'll have on tap, and get a CO2 manifold that has extra ports. That way you can have kegs chilled and carbed and ready to go when one kicks it.

Also you can add extra taps in you ever want. I started with 5, but I'm adding a 6th this week, and I plan on adding a 7th later in the year.

I want to build one someday too, but just wanted something I didn't have to worry about screwing up for my first time kegging. I bought a Beer Meister 2-tap and been using it a little over a month now. Yes, you pay a little more for this than say a Danby or Nostalgia unit, but you know what...you get what you pay for!!! It's a great unit! I also paid a little more for the stainless steel to match the kitchen appliances.

I have the digital display set @ 32F, comes out of the tap @ 34F. Love it! It comes with a tower cooling fan installed so the beer stays cold in the tubing. They also have a 3-tap model. It came with everything you need (hoses, quick connects, 5lb co2 tank, dual gauge regulator, drip tray, top rail for glasses, and 2 corny kegs)! Even the 2-tap model can hold 3 corny kegs.

Here's the model I bought - http://beermeisters.com/product/dua...teel-door-homebrew-value-line-2-kegs-included

Thanks, I will be checking beermeisters out for sure! :rockin:

The Beermeister is a customized Danby....

I just bought a Danby from Walmart.com and had it shipped to the store for free for $450. It's the big Danby with the digital control and stainless front. The nice thing is it comes with a 5 gallon CO2 (vs a 2.5 tank by Nostalgia or Kegco) and has a removable plug to run your gas line outside. Most of the negative reviews online seem to be with older units but I don't have any solid evidence the company addressed certain issues like temp control. Mine is plenty cold and is extremely quiet.

I bought a new dual tap stainless tower with Perlick faucets, a new Taprite regulator (easy to adjust w/o a screwdriver) and I'm awaiting some Tygon Silver tubing to eliminate any plastic off taste. Basically, I just doubled the price....

The most difficult part of the entire process is getting a unit damage free during shipping. Mine had a small dent in the back (nobody sees it). I think the unit is gorgeous.

Weigh your options. If you're OK with a single tap tower, the Danby is a bargain (and you can always upgrade later). Keep in mind how inconvenient dealing with inspecting your unit off a truck versus picking it up from a local Walmart who will give you no hassles with exchanging or returning. And the shipping is free (to your local store).

Is this the Danby you got? Link

Could you link me to the dual tap tower with Perlicks? Did it fit alright without any issues?

Damn, that 5.8 Danby is the same as the beermeisters but with a single tap it looks like, that could actually save me some money even with the purchase of a new tower!

I spent a lot of time considering the same questions. It came down to this for me. If you are satisfied with a small kegerator, buy it new. If you can find one used that is big enough for you, buy it. If you want a decently sized one that has several taps and space to store more kegs for carbing, build it. Unless you have a few grand to blow away.

Yeah, anything more than 3 taps gets expensive to buy. But the danby does fit 3, and can be modded pretty easily.

Build for customization buy for simple. I used a mini fridge for mine hold 2 kegs cools perfect no probs yet then u can customize it for ur needs and looks another I built was for a friend I'll post pics.

image-2766638136.jpg

image-1727388800.jpg

image-1616505950.jpg

Well son of a b*tch! The Danby is sold out on wally world's website. Maybe that's a sign that I don't need another kegerator..

I just ordered the last pieces of my keezer and I'm very excited to build it. I like the fact that I can customize it rather than buying an already built one. Plus I bought a 3 tap tower becuse I'd rather pay more now than upgrading later. Here's my price breakdown.

Used chest freezer that fits 3 cornes and co2 :$80
2 7lb co2 tanks: $90
corny kegs: $45 each
2 regulators: $70
3 tap tower and faucets: $135
manifold: $40

Then whatever I ended up spending for clamps and hoses.

Back