NHC 2010 Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edit: I was only a point away from Silver and qualifying to go on the the next round. Oh well, it's nice that it scored as well as it did when they nicked me for oxidation.

I don't think silvers made it to round 2. I had 3 silvers but nothing that made it to the next round.

There are two types of awards. Ribbons are awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place and any beers that place with at least a minimum score of 30 move on to the second round. Gold, Silver and Bronze certificates are also awarded based solely on score whether they place or not. At least that's the way I remember it. So you can get a Silver Certificate, yet not advance to the second round. That happened to me with one of my entries last year.

I think that the silver cut-off is 30 and that is the minimum score to move on, but you still have to take 1-2-3.

Exactly. One more point and I'd have scored 30 and qualified to move on to the next round, never said i would have. Though, I think if not for the oxidation, I would have had a shot.

I would assume that a beer that scores 29 with a fair level of oxidation is a very good beer otherwise. Just the oxidation would get you into the 20s on most score sheets so I am guessing the judges found no other faults or stylistic problems.

It makes me happy to know they scored it as a good beer, but frustrating at the same time that picking the wrong bottle might have been the difference between contending and not. Oh well, it's on the list to brew again and will be sent in again next year!

You get certificates independantly of advancing or not, it is based on points. In each category they pick the top 3 beers in each region and advance those to the finals, that is not based on points but is a Best of Show style selection process.

You get certificates independantly of advancing or not, it is based on points. In each category they pick the top 3 beers in each region and advance those to the finals, that is not based on points but is a Best of Show style selection process.

A minimum score of 30 is required in order to advance to the final round regardless of whether the beer placed 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

From the AHA site:

"How National Homebrew Competition Works

Winning entries that score 30 or above from each of the NHC First Round regions receive ribbons from the AHA and qualify for entry into the NHC Final Round competition. The Final Round judging takes place on Thursday, June 17, 2010 at the National Homebrewers Conference being held in Minneapolis, MN this year. The winning entries scoring more than 30 points in the ALES Home Brew Open also advance to the NHC Final Round competition in June. The brewers of the winning entries in the NHC Final Round are awarded medals and fabulous prizes at the Grand Banquet & Award Ceremony on Saturday evening of the conference. The 2010 NHC Rules & Regulations (PDF file) are now available."

That's what I was referring to. I was a point away from being eligible to move on to the finals. Not that I'd hold my breath with only a 30. But you could have the best bear in a category, but if all the beers were off and the best was only a 29, then nobody advances.

Anyone else in the Great Lakes Region NOT get their certificates back yet?? I got my scoresheets back the week after the 1st Round, but no certs. Not that they mean much, just more wall decor I suppose.

FWIW, I should be getting a Gold cert and 2 Silvers.

That's what I was referring to. I was a point away from being eligible to move on to the finals. Not that I'd hold my breath with only a 30. But you could have the best bear in a category, but if all the beers were off and the best was only a 29, then nobody advances.

You never know. It's a whole new ball game in the second round. A 30 could possibly do much better in the finals. The whole thing is somewhat of a crap shoot. Overall, IMO the quality of the BJCP judging is excellent and in the long run it all seems to work out fairly, but I've also entered the same beer in multiple competitions and the range was from Best of Show to zilch. The beer was all from the same batch and the competitions were all held at about the same time. In all, it was six major competitions (including 1st round NHC) and the final tally was one BOS, three golds, one silver and one bronze. That will probably never happen again with any beer I brew.

Anyone else in the Great Lakes Region NOT get their certificates back yet?? I got my scoresheets back the week after the 1st Round, but no certs. Not that they mean much, just more wall decor I suppose.

I'm in the East Region and I just got mine last week. I'm sure they will arrive at your door very soon. BTW, they do mean much! One cannot have too much bling. Everyone knows that!:D

Congrats to all who placed or won their categories!

I am just a noob and got lucky with my stout. I created the recipe as a sweet stout but missed my mash temps so it came out tasting like a dry stout. I entered it as a sweet stout due to the recipe and it scored 25, but I got a bronze certificate and I am happy.

I entered it in another comp as a dry stout and scored a 35! Either way I am gonna keep on brewing!

Good luck to all of you who have moved on to round 2!

FYI I got my gold cert in the mail today (great lakes region)

You never know. It's a whole new ball game in the second round. A 30 could possibly do much better in the finals. The whole thing is somewhat of a crap shoot. Overall, IMO the quality of the BJCP judging is excellent and in the long run it all seems to work out fairly, but I've also entered the same beer in multiple competitions and the range was from Best of Show to zilch. The beer was all from the same batch and the competitions were all held at about the same time. In all, it was six major competitions (including 1st round NHC) and the final tally was one BOS, three golds, one silver and one bronze. That will probably never happen again with any beer I brew.

That makes me feel better. My 48.5 first round mead didn't place in the top three in the second round. The one that won, didn't place in the top three in the first. Oh, well.

The key to winning is entering many brews. I always admired my brother's success with women. He pointed out that it wasn't that he had particular skill but that he went up to bat so much more than I did. I feared failure and he didn't. Good life lesson.

My lagers got very similar scores in the first and second round and both were mini BOS in the second round, no hardware though.

IIPA scored quite a bit lower (35.5 vs 43ish).

My lagers got very similar scores in the first and second round and both were mini BOS in the second round, no hardware though.

IIPA scored quite a bit lower (35.5 vs 43ish).

Was that the IIPA you were sharing on Thursday night? I think it was a fantastic IIPA, so I don't believe it could be but that's why I'm asking.

Final Round Results

Congratulations to
SpanishCastleAle

Category 8: English Pale Ale
—187 Entries

Gold

Matt Tucker, Jake Tucker
Oviedo, FL
Extra Special/Strong Bitter

Wow, just now found out (thanks to your post AnOldUr). Very cool. It must have scored better in the second round to best 187 entries. I'll put the recipe in the database.

My barleywine didn't place in the finals but I'll tell ya that having a dog in the hunt at all makes the award presentations a LOT more exciting. One thing that surprised me about this beer is how consistently it's been scored over the past 2 years all ranging between 37-42. That's a very narrow range when it comes to BJCP.

That makes me feel better. My 48.5 first round mead didn't place in the top three in the second round. The one that won, didn't place in the top three in the first. Oh, well.

The key to winning is entering many brews. I always admired my brother's success with women. He pointed out that it wasn't that he had particular skill but that he went up to bat so much more than I did. I feared failure and he didn't. Good life lesson.

The key to winning is sending the right bottles. Just got the score sheets back. "13" "Tastes like a good cider." "Did you sent the wrong bottle?"

Yes I did. I sent at least one bottle of cider as my mead. What a f-ing tool I am!

Perhaps a BOS bottle of mead is floating around in the discard pile, never to be drunk, like the Ark of the Covenant at the end of "Raiders."

Perhaps a BOS bottle of mead is floating around in the discard pile, never to be drunk, like the Ark of the Covenant at the end of "Raiders."

Yeah, no one will grab a mead that got a 13 to drink. :p Sucks though. Save enough for next year?

Back