Long term grain storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p4ck37p1mp

Reaction score
I've been thinking about a bulk order of at least 2 row and maybe a bag each of a few other things to get a flat rate shipping deal. So far only a few folks local to me have shown interest for more than a few bags to offset shipping, so I thought about just getting myself several bags. Would using open head 55 gallon drums purged with co2 work for long term in my basement (<70 degrees, low humidity)? Or would a fridge or chest freezer be better? Second option nets me a keezer of course once I make room for some kegs. :D

How do LHBS or others store their grain to prevent mold, mildew, bugs, etc?

I keep my grain in this: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pr...splastic&category_name=29164&product_id=31400. I just store it in the garage.

The LHBS in San Diego that I used to go to used to keep their grains in like 5 gallon buckets with lids similar to mine.

The Riverside Morebeer store just keeps their grain in generic rubbermaid containers. I think the humidity is really what you need to be worried about.

So a normal Brute garbage can is good enough sounds like, I was figuring air-tight or close to it.

My LHBS suggests putting grain in the freezer for 3 days, in fact he wont sell me a bag of grain that hasnt been in his freezer for 3 days. This will kill any bugs in the grain and then it should keep for a long time.

I keep 50lb unopened sacks of unmilled grain in a cool dry basement area off the brewery. No problem storing them like that for months at a time.

I keep my base grain in airtight animal feed storage bins I picked up from TSC and my specialty grains in Rubbermaid Storage containers that hold about 4 lbs a piece. I store the bins in the basement.

No problems with insects and you can't smell the grain at all.

I will probably grab a few bags from the buy. Just need to work on basement for storage of them.

I thought about using some Brute garbage cans. If we opted to buy an 1100 lb bag of bulk grain, not in 50 lb sacks, it would be quite a bit cheaper. I figure people can use heavy duty trash bags to weigh it out and store it, or bring drums or whatever other containers. I can see myself hanging on to 500 lbs myself since I brew 20-25 gallon batches most of the time, I end up using 40-50 lbs of 2 row per batch. I'll probably get bags of some other stuff also that I tend to use, and can weigh out what you guys want into ziploc bags or whatever. I'm thinking I might order in a month or so, and just have you guys come by and pickup whatever you want as needed. When we start running low I'll order again. I just can't see $57 a bag at BN making a lot of sense for me, and shipping is a killer for online orders.

So this is what I'm thinking of getting at the very least as these are things I use enough to have in bulk. Anyone interested in any crystal malts or other stuff? BTW thats a gallon of Star San, can get more of that too.

Caramel Malt Pils B501 1 $45.10
Candaian 2 row 2002 10 $280.50
Wheat Malt 4074 5 $159.50
Flaked Wheat TW2 1 $30.25
Rice hulls BR1 1 $24
Star san STAR1 1 $29

+$185.22 freight

I put a sack into a metal garbage can and use a trash bag as a lid gasket. I keep specialty grains in 5lb tupperware sugar totes.

So this is what I'm thinking of getting at the very least as these are things I use enough to have in bulk. Anyone interested in any crystal malts or other stuff? BTW thats a gallon of Star San, can get more of that too.

Caramel Malt Pils B501 1 $45.10
Candaian 2 row 2002 10 $280.50
Wheat Malt 4074 5 $159.50
Flaked Wheat TW2 1 $30.25
Rice hulls BR1 1 $24
Star san STAR1 1 $29

+$185.22 freight

Sweet. I was looking at pale malt and 6 row as well.

We can add stuff, I'd like to get some other stuff too if anyone is interested in it. Sweet orange, coriander, grains of paradise, etc.

Not sure about the brew day, I certainly can't bring my rig, too big for my vehicle. Once I get a little closer to ordering I'll post a new thread. I might go ahead and post in the local brew day thread to see what shakes loose.

Not sure about the brew day, I certainly can't bring my rig, too big for my vehicle. Once I get a little closer to ordering I'll post a new thread. I might go ahead and post in the local brew day thread to see what shakes loose.

I'm probably not brewing then; however, the drive home would arate the hell out of the wort as my car is verrry stiff. :) but sure am bringing sum beer. Maybe not the best but the American amber one of my best so far.

Back on topic... My basement is relative dry and doesnt get above 80.

I went to Petsmart and they have plastic food storage bins with airtight lids on casters for like $28. I can't remember what the written capacity was but it holds a 55lb bag of malt perfectly.

Walmart has the airtight Whitmor bins that are on rollers. They hold a 55lb bag of grain. I think they were 20 bucks.My local walmart only had one in stock so I got it and it works great. In the pet section.

Same on here http://www.organize.com/airfoodconla.html
organizeeverything1_2017_386221735

I use the same bins as above, but found that I could only squeeze about 50 pounds in one. I kept the rest in a Rubbermaid airtight container until I used it.

FYI.

I use the Homer Buckets with the clear lids from Home Depot. Each bucket holds around 25lb. It's not 100% airtight, but it appears to be more airtight than a garbage can or a rubbermaid container.

I use the same bins as above, but found that I could only squeeze about 50 pounds in one. I kept the rest in a Rubbermaid airtight container until I used it.
They all look the same to me. I don't know what size the one from Walmart is, but the one linked above is 10 gallons and is a little short of holding a 55lb bag of grain. Here's one on eBay that holds 45qts. It might be just enough more to hold the whole thing.

Airtight 45-Quart Pet Food Storage Wheels Container New - eBay (item 120297443127 end time Aug-29-08 13:04:54 PDT)

Better yet. With free shipping (have to buy 2):
Amazon.com: Iris Airtight 45-Quart Pet-Food Storage Container: Home & Garden

I use the Homer Buckets with the clear lids from Home Depot. Each bucket holds around 25lb. It's not 100% airtight, but it appears to be more airtight than a garbage can or a rubbermaid container.
This is the same thing that I use. Not sure I want to spend the extra money on one of these larger containers when the buckets work just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking to save some money long term by buying bulk grain. Two problems: space (none in the house) and heat (only space is in garage, and this is Texas). Will airtight containers like the ones pictured here allow me to store in the garage?

My LHBS owner says that the critters will be a problem - but he has a vested interest in having me buy each batch of grain from him. (Not to mention he's had weevils in his grain, stored inside in containers).

I think I'm going to buy a couple of these this week. They look like a great (and cheap!) way to store large quantities of grain. When you add them to your cart you get a 15% discount off the unit price so the 40lb ones are only about $18 and only about $5 to ship two of them to me here in Ohio (where they are also located).

OK, I ordered 5 of the above Vittles Vault II yesterday for ChillHayze, a friend and myself and they arrived today. They look darn nice but I was hoping I could store grain bag and all in there. the 40lb version is definitely not big enough for my bag of MO. So my question is, does the plastic give any off flavors to the grains if stored directly in the bag? The plastic sure smells...well...plasticy. I was reading else ware that garbage bags (they specifically mentioned glad) are NOT food safe. So I would rather not store in one of those either. These containers are made for food so I would guess they are food grade...

Thoughts?

FYI...I washed the inside of the containers and poured the grain right in. I had a 55lb bag of MO that I took about 5lbs our of and the whole bag did NOT fit in the container. I had maybe 5lbs left over. I did noy try to put the lid on, open the center piece and top it off so it might have fit.

FYI...I washed the inside of the containers and poured the grain right in. I had a 55lb bag of MO that I took about 5lbs our of and the whole bag did NOT fit in the container. I had maybe 5lbs left over. I did noy try to put the lid on, open the center piece and top it off so it might have fit.

I just bought 4 Vittle Vault II. They will fit 55lb if you put the lid on and then fill the rest in. 55lb is definitively the limit though.

BTW, these containers are great.

Back