Polarware vs Blichmann

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well personally it's all in the accessories. If you would like a 3-piece ball valve vs. a 2-piece ball valve and a brewmonetor and sight glass then yes. But if you want to add that latter then no.

I have the Blichmanns, but haven't had the Polarware to compare. I did have the Megapots for a while.

The Blichmanns are very well manufactured. All the integration of the accessories is very nice. If you are planning on adding a 3-piece valve, site tube, thermometer, then the Blichmanns arent all the more expensive.

The false bottom for the Mash tun is amazing.

There is a thread here on the Blichmanns.

I have the Blichmanns, but haven't had the Polarware to compare. I did have the Megapots for a while.

The Blichmanns are very well manufactured. All the integration of the accessories is very nice. If you are planning on adding a 3-piece valve, site tube, thermometer, then the Blichmanns arent all the more expensive.

The false bottom for the Mash tun is amazing.

There is a thread here on the Blichmanns.

I know this thread is 3 years old... but as of October 2011, the Blichmann 15G with all the toys (ball, sight glass and thermometer) is in fact about $200 more than the Polar Ware 15G with the same accessories. I just priced it yesterday and decided to go Polar Ware after being set on Blichmann for a week.

A 15G Blingman is $375. You're saying you can get a comparable Polarware for $175 that includes an adjustable thermometer, 3 pc ball valve, dip tube and a deluxe sight glass?

After checking my notes you are right. My Blichmann price included a $100 false bottom. So it was 389 vs 289. I think they threw in the SG free but I will know when I pick it up. They had to order everything then customize it. Thanks for catching that.

Yeah, I know this is old. But, I went with the Polarware because I cannot afford a Top Tier or build a single tiered system right now and am not sure which way I will go when I do. Like you, I had cash-in-hand to buy a Blichman, but (with guidance from my LHBS), went with the Polarware after seeing 'do not lift the pot with contents', or whatever the verbiage is. It seems the handles are not welded the same on the Blichman's as they are on the Polarware's. It's a shame to make such a great pot, but not be able to lift it. Anyone know if they really are tac welded instead of welded all the way through, or is this advisement on their pots simply CYA for Blichman?

I went with a 10g Polarware with ball valve. I really wanted the 15g Blichmann but it didn't really work in my budget or future plans at the moment. I figure I can still upgrade the PW kettle with some gadgets as I go but I am likely to just invest in keggle parts or a Blichmann later on. The PW is a great pot for BIAB 5.5g batches with full volume.

Yeah, I know this is old. But, I went with the Polarware because I cannot afford a Top Tier or build a single tiered system right now and am not sure which way I will go when I do. Like you, I had cash-in-hand to buy a Blichman, but (with guidance from my LHBS), went with the Polarware after seeing 'do not lift the pot with contents', or whatever the verbiage is. It seems the handles are not welded the same on the Blichman's as they are on the Polarware's. It's a shame to make such a great pot, but not be able to lift it. Anyone know if they really are tac welded instead of welded all the way through, or is this advisement on their pots simply CYA for Blichman?

The do not lift is simply for insurance reasons. The Blichmann has the handle bracket that is screwed to the kettle. PolarWare spot welds their kettles which in theory is less strong. Can both kettles handle being carried with 10gal of liquid? Probably. But would we or any other company condone it? Nope. Bad things can happen when you do that.

Back