Fermentis WB-06 above 23 (73.4) degrees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarnieBrew

Reaction score
I know it's a controversial yeast, but I like what wb-06 does for my hefe's and dunkel's. So far i've only done fermentations with it between 19.5 and 21 degrees (67-70). I haven't really noticed a difference using that range.

I notice their spec sheet says:

Fermentation temperature: 12-25°C (53.6-77°F) ideally 18-24°C (64.4-75.2°F)
for clover flavors : below 22°C (71.6°F)
for banana flavor: above 23°C (73.4°F)

So I'm keen to give it a go at 23.5 (74.3) in search of the promised banana :ban:. If it's a dud so be it....I like experiments.

I've searched high and low but haven't found anyone posting results on this yeast fermented at that temp...it's hard given the exact temp numbers and celcius vs fahrenheit issue.

So a direct question...if anyone reading this has fermented a weizen with wb-06 at or above 23 degrees celcius, how did you find it? And even better, can you compare to a separate fermentation at a lower temp?

Apparently I'm supposed to be tasting clove (or clover as Fermentis call it) at these lower temps...but to be honest I don't know what clove/r tastes like...I just know I like it!

I had some experiences with Wb06. I will say the temperature I used in my temperature controller and the results.
First Time I used it between 20 and 22 C, the result was clove.
second time I used 21.5 and 23.5 C, the result was bubble gum, pineapple.
I did not find any bananas. So this last time I tried 20.5-22.5 C, I hope I will find Bananas.

These are the temperatures registered in the controller. I brew 10 L and I belive the temperature inside the fermenter is at least 1 C higher.

I know its been a long time since you posted, but I would like to hear from your experiences!

Thanks!!!:mug:

I used WB-06 at 18.5 C and my results were consistent with expectations--very muted wheat beer flavors. Which was fine with me, because I have a low threshold of pain for those flavors.

I consider it more belgian than hefe. I always get bubble gum when I use it. That said, I did have a bottle in my keezer that lagered for about 3 months that was amazeballs. Crystal clear and really nice flavors, totally different than when fresh.

Back