Dorm fridge or compact freezer for kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brtisbuck

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do a kegerator build and can't decide between a fridgidaire mini fridge or a compact chest freezer keezer.

My concern with the fridge is temp control issues and frosting over. I have a magic chef mini that is simply not a reliable cooler...at least after the first year or so especially in a warm environment. Is a chest freezer with a temp controller more reliable and stable?

Size is also a concern. What is the minimum inside dims needed to fit 2 5 gallon ball-locks and a tank? If I go freezer then I don't want something that is 7 c.ft. as it will be just too big once I build it. Can I get away with a 3.6 or do I need a 5?

Any input here is welcome.

Most 5 cf freezers will handle 3 cornies. For anything smaller, you would have to take the kegs along when shopping. There will always be room for a 5 lb CO2 bottle over the hump.

Roll with a freezer and temp controller. There are a couple advantages.

1. Price: A controller + a freezer will cost the same or even less than the fridge....less in most cases
2. Energy efficiency: A chest freezer is way better insulated than a mini fridge.
3. Capacity! You will be able to fit an extra keg or two in the freezer space. :rockin:

Back