Heading to Pittsburgh, Philly and Delaware, where could a guy get a drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasty_rabbit

Reaction score
July 1st I will be heading to the Pittsburgh area (Aliquippa) then to Bear Del. then to the Philly area. I don't see that I will have time for brewery tours but would like to find some local Growler shops or brew pubs. Any suggestions?

Yards Brewing Company. 901 N. Delaware Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19123 215.634.2600

Dock Street Pub 701 S. 50th Street.

Both are in Philly. I've never been to Yards, but I've been to Dock Street. It was quite a few years ago, but I really enjoyed the food and beer.

Philadelphia Brewing company came up on my Google search, but I don't know anything about them. It looks like they have a nice selection though.

You can always sample a few brews before going: You can easily find Yards at a local beer distributor, but I'm not sure if I've seen Dock Street on the shelves recently; it's probably there, I just haven't looked.

However, if you can find the time, head south and visit the current Rockstar of brewing in this area: Dogfish Head Brewery. The brewhouse is located in Milton, DE and they have a pub in Rehobeth Beach. It's a bit of a ride, but their IPAs are very well regarded in the area.

There is also Iron Hill Brewery in both Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, Del. I don't know anything about these guys except that they support the local college radio station :)

As far as pubs go, I know that Washington Street Ale House in Wilmington, Del. has a good selection of craft brews. McGillians Olde Ale House in the Center City area of Philadelphia has a nice selection also. This place is really old (like when Lincoln was President) and is a really cool authentic Philly drinking spot.

Pittsburgh: They root for the stinkin' Penguins, so what do they know about beer :)

Good luck and I hope you find someplace you like,
Mike

In pitt, the churchbrew works is cool. In bear, you could head to Stewarts brew pub. On the way to Pa, stop at twin lake(think this is what it is call, greenville, de). I would stop over in media at pinnochios(pinbeer.com), there is a iton hill there too. Then head to monks or eulogy in philly. Across the street from eulogy is Triumph brewpub. I would walk up to the benalux tasting room. If you have more time in philly, the foodery is a cool bottle shop, belgium cafe, farmacia, larenzos pizza for a slice(don't ask for a topping)

As I understand it, Philadelphia Brewing Company was started by a founder of Yards after a falling out. Yards got the recipes and the name, Philadelphia Brewing Co got the brewery. Both make excellent beers. I haven't been to Monk's Cafe but I hear all good things about it. Kite and Key is a pretty cool beer bar, as is 12 Steps Down.

Like milldog said Stewarts is in Bear, also Two Stones Pub in Newark DE (close to Bear). Two stones doesn't have their own stuff but do have an excellent PA/DE/MD/NJ beer selection and great food.

I don't live in Philli but my sister does! I am stoked to be visiting for beer week the first week of June!
Monks Cafe is a great Belgian cafe. Great food and excellent brews. Its a must whenever im in the Phila!
I have not been to but have plans on visiting Yards Brewery and maybe getting the VIP tour because my sisters boyfriend is a close friend and old time home brew buddy of the dude that does quality control or something like that. I really like their Ales of the Revolution series which are based on recipes of george washingtons, thomas jeffersons, and benjamin franklins.
Noding head is a good brew pub, Triumph brewery is good,...Philli is a beer city, there are a bunch of great belgian beer spots and and everything else. Surely someone from the city with the low down will chime in.

Oh yea, Have fun!

+1 on Stewards. Iron Hill is just okay for me. They got big pretty fast bit didn't keep good beer as their primary focus so their offerings have kind of leveled out as far as appeal. Im from Newark, about 10 minutes from Bear. The food is still good just don't expect to be blown away. Make the hour trek to Dogfish Head. They have an amazing thing going on.

I really like the bar, Local 44. It's in Philadelphia, great place, good beer, great food.

Eulogy tavern in old city philly is probably the one the best beer bars i have ever been to. Also Manayunk Brew Pub has some good local beer. Monks is awesome as well. If you do find time to go to a brewery i would recommend Nodding Head.

In the Burgh I like Fatheads, I would also recommend eating there or just down the street @ The Carson Street Deli, great sandwiches, soups and salads. The owner is a beer geek and has 3 or 4 taps of local stuff and 100 or so bottles.

In Philly there are so many to choose from and many good ones but thus far Monk's Cafe is my favorite. Check out there website they do a fantastic job of keeping up there beer on tap (there is a front and back bar). This place was voted "one of the ten best places in the world to drink beer" by Michael Jackson.

Welcome to my state, that's right it's MINE. I know nothing of Pittsburgh, tis a silly place.
As for Philly monk's cafe is a great place there is also the pub on passayunk east (POPE) in South Phily and Johnny Brenda's in Fishtown, also the Grey Lodge in frankford area, plus many many others i can't think of right now. Let me know where in the city you'll be based and I'll send my agents to scout the area.
Philadelphia brewing Co is on Amber St in the Fishtown Area last time i was there around xmas 2011 there brew pub was not operational.

There is Victory in downingtown, Troegs in Hershey, Lancaster Brewing in Lancaster and Yungeling in Pottsville in case your driving from pitt to Phila and need a pit stop.

Check out http://www.joesixpack.net/ for philly reated beer news, mostly beer reviews and interviews but some brew pub stuff pops up

hope this helps,
your pal the CAD

FYI: Delaware does not have an open container law. Passengers can drink. I don't think the driver can.

In philly...Memphis tap room and Kraft works. Both have an awesome beer list and several craft breweries on tap. Food is good too.

Depends where you'll be in Philly, but there are a plethora of good beer bars, breweries, and brewpubs

Breweries:
Yards, has a tasting room with pool tables/bar/free beer
Philly Brewing Co

Brewpubs:
Nodding Head
Earth Bread and Brewery

Huge Beer List, Belgian Ales and Mussells:
Monks
Eulogy Tavern

For South Philly:
South Philly Taproom
POPE
Devils Den

Northern Liberties:
Standard Tap
Memphis Taproom

Northeast:
Greylodge

thecad said:
Welcome to my state, that's right it's MINE. I know nothing of Pittsburgh, tis a silly place.

hope this helps,
your pal the CAD

I am originally from the Pittsburgh area and back in the day I remember calling the baseball team from Philly "the sillies".

Thanks for all of the info. Oh and by the way GO PENGUINS!!!

Two stones pub right outside Newark DE. Great food and I think 25 craft beers on tap with countless bottles. Best part not a drop of BMC in the entire place. Was told they don't carry Guinness because it was to "mainstream". Seems kinda snobbish to me but you know they love beer over there. 10 percent off your entire bill with AHA card too.

I enjoy going to Washington Street Ale House in Wilmington, DE. It's not a brewpub, but they have a great selection of beers on tap and the food is awesome as well. I go everytime I go up there.

You mentioned growler shops. Unfortunately, they're few and far between because of the crazy liqour laws in PA, so you pretty much have to go to a brewery / brewpub for that. East End Brewing in Pittsburgh is pretty decent ( http://www.eastendbrewing.com/ ) and does "growler hours" a couple of times a week. If you're looking for a bottle shop that has a good local selection, the Foodery in Philly is supposed to be pretty good.

I'm afraid I can't add much else that hasn't been said already. There are definitely far more options in Eastern PA. If you're willing to take a little side trip, Stoudt's is near Reading and makes some excellent brews ( http://www.stoudtsbeer.com/ ).

Back