Dark Mild Reaper's Mild, 1st place 2011 HBT Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C-60 tastes like caramel, that's the only way I can describe it. Lighter crystal is sweeter, darker crystal is less sweet and more burnt tasting. I think this beer would turn out OK with c-40 or c-80, but it definitely wouldn't be the same. If your LHBS doesn't know this stuff, it might be time to start ordering stuff online.

Is Caramel 60 different than Crystal 60?..

Is Caramel 60 different than Crystal 60?..

A post not long ago described them as sifferent malting/crystallization procedures but as far as I know the malsters usually interchange the names between the two without rwally listing amy sidferwnces. But for our purposes they should.be the. Same for us.

Phone post.

Wow I can't believe I've never brewed Orfy's or your version of his Mild recipe. Thanks very much for posting, and thanks for the extra info about 2-row+victory vs marris otter, that is very helpful.

MikeRoBrew1 said:
Wow I can't believe I've never brewed Orfy's or your version of his Mild recipe. Thanks very much for posting, and thanks for the extra info about 2-row+victory vs marris otter, that is very helpful.

Glad I could help!

azscoob said:
Here is my posting of Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale that took 1st place, category 11 in the 2011 HBT homebrew competition, and was a part of the "Orfy's mild mini-comp".

5 lb 8 oz Maris Otter (Crisp, UK)
1 lb 8 oz Crystal 60L (Crisp, UK)
6 oz Chocolate malt (Crisp, UK)

1 oz UK Fuggle 4.30% at 45 minutes
1 oz UK Fuggle 4.30% at 15 minutes

Brewhouse efficiency for this recipe is set to 75%

Mash at 158 degrees for 60 minutes at 1.25:1 ratio, mashout with 1 gallon of boiling water and Vorlauf till first runnings are clear. Double batch sparge with 170 degree water to get to pre-boil volume.

Pitch yeast at the starting fermentation temp of 65 degrees and ramp up to 68 degrees after 3 days at initial fermentation temp.

After 10 days of primary fermentation rack to a keg or bottling bucket and carb to 1.8 volumes.

A few notes about this beer:

If you have never tried a Northern English Mild, you are missing out on a great full flavored session beer that is both an inexpensive beer to brew and it is a quick beer to go from grain to glass, it can be ready to drink in a couple weeks if you push it.

I always have a great time brewing this beer, if I don't have Maris Otter, I use 4.5 lbs of 2-row and a pound of victory malt to approximate the MO, don't have victory? Just toast a pound of your 2-row at 350 degrees for 16 minutes and let it sit in a bag for a week prior to brewing. It also lends itself well to other English hops, and if Notty is not your thing, use S-04 or WLP002.

As requested be included in the recipe, the yeast that was used for my competition beer was a long forgotten packet of Nottingham yeast that had an expiration date of March 2006, it would appear it made a fine beer after all that time!

Going to try this one this weekend

Going to try this one this weekend

After you try this beer, you are going to want to get brewing another batch because it is going to disappear quickly!

I am going to be brewing this one real soon, probably going to be a double brewday, going to brew my Bitter Brit ordinary bitter at the same time.

I did a batch a while back and this stuff came out great. Good session beer thats full of flavor.I'm gonna brew it again soon and I 'm gonna use some Wyeast "Thames Valley" that I have lying around. Looking forward to it.

Just brewed tonight. Smelled awesome whole time. (all brews do so). But im hoping for a great session beer for more brewing. And if it turns out great i have 6 empty kegs that need filling so i cam brew a big batch if i want. Thanks for the recipe. Hope it turns out great like everyone eho brewed it here

As long as you keep your temps in check you should have a nice full flavored session ale.

I enjoy drinking this one on the weekends when working around the house, or anytime I need to still function after having a couple beers.

Thanks for the recipe Reaper. I did a ten gallon batch and my O.G. was 1.039. After three weeks 5 went into the keg. I could only get it down to 1.018. Im trying to warm up the other five in hopes of a few more points. Still taste great.

D-MOTITAN said:
Thanks for the recipe Reaper. I did a ten gallon batch and my O.G. was 1.039. After three weeks 5 went into the keg. I could only get it down to 1.018. Im trying to warm up the other five in hopes of a few more points. Still taste great.

Sometimes I have had an FG like you, it is sometime tough to get it down with the mash temp as high as it is. If it doesn't come down any more don't sweat it, perhaps next time drop the mash temp a couple degrees and see how it does. I personally love this when I can hit 1.015. It is a really nice balance there.

Yea i think i might have mashed a little to high. I hit 80% on my efficiency and the brew tasted awesome so it went in the keg. Me and the SWMBO took a sample last night after two days and it was great. :ban:

Yea i think i might have mashed a little to high. I hit 80% on my efficiency and the brew tasted awesome so it went in the keg. Me and the SWMBO took a sample last night after two days and it was great. :ban:

This recipe really opened my eyes to session ales, I have several I brew often now. I like that I can have a few and not be completely shmammered.

Ill be racking this over to keg tomorrow night. Hoping its as good as everyone says. +1 on session brews. Thiis will be my second. The first was a stout that came in around 3.9%. Awesome to brew and drink like normal and not have a heavy buzz on while ur trying to get yeast in

A large portion of my mash was spent at 160*, maybe even 161*. How will this change the beer? Prior to this I had only done one 5gal all-grain batch and three 1 gal all-grain batches, and I was used to losing more heat (mashing in my kettle covered with towels). I was doing BIAB if that makes a difference. I also ended up with an OG of 1.042, but I guess it'll just be a little stronger.

dnull1337 said:
A large portion of my mash was spent at 160*, maybe even 161*. How will this change the beer? Prior to this I had only done one 5gal all-grain batch and three 1 gal all-grain batches, and I was used to losing more heat (mashing in my kettle covered with towels). I was doing BIAB if that makes a difference. I also ended up with an OG of 1.042, but I guess it'll just be a little stronger.

With the higher mash temp it will have a bit sweeter finish from a higher final gravity. Not a big deal, more mouthfeel-ish than with a lower mash temp.

Thinking of giving this a third try with some Kent Goldings because I have 3 oz left I want to get used up. Just can't decide on the yeast this time around. Ringwood kind of pissed me off because I had to rouse it for several days straight to get it down to where it should have finished. Might try Irish Ale in it or another London strain.

Brewing this tomorrow! I am using choclate rye malt. Someone said in this thread that a lighter chocolate malt is better in this recipe. That was my choice at the LHBS. Cant remember the lovibond, but I think 190ish?

Brew day went awesome! OG was 1.029 at 7.2 gallons. FG was 1.037 at 5.2 gallons. Couldnt ask for better. Pitched at 65 degrees.

Just an update. Finished out at 1.010. 3.54%, going to keg on Wed, which will be 11 days. Planning on force carbing and drinking on Thursday, cant wait!

Just an update. Finished out at 1.010. 3.54%, going to keg on Wed, which will be 11 days. Planning on force carbing and drinking on Thursday, cant wait!

just be aware that carbonic acid will be present, give the beer some days once carbed to allow things to settle and mellow when carbing that fast before making your tasting notes.

Good tip. Im new to kegging so I didnt know about the carbonic acid. Guessing it doesnt hurt anything in the long run? Just really chomping at the bit to try this. How many days do you think?

Bombeque said:
Good tip. Im new to kegging so I didnt know about the carbonic acid. Guessing it doesnt hurt anything in the long run? Just really chomping at the bit to try this. How many days do you think?

The carbonic bite from rapid carbonating will mellow in a few days, maybe a week. Try it freshly force carbed, then try it in a few days, the bite should have subsided enough to notice, good to know what it tastes like so you can better judge your beers

I will, thanks for the advice! The plan is to add gelatin to the primary tonight to clear. Will keg tomorrow night, purge, and set at 30 psi and put it in the fridge for 24 hours. Drink on Wednesday. I was thinking of doing the shake method, but the 24 hour method is fine by me. Would this still be considered force carbing?

I will, thanks for the advice! The plan is to add gelatin to the primary tonight to clear. Will keg tomorrow night, purge, and set at 30 psi and put it in the fridge for 24 hours. Drink on Wednesday. I was thinking of doing the shake method, but the 24 hour method is fine by me. Would this still be considered force carbing?

Yes it is, if time isnt a factor set your regulator at serving pressure, then let it sit for a few weeks to carb up.

and dont forget, milds are carbonated lower than a standard ale. shoot for 1.8 volumes for proper carbonation.

So I brewed this a while back and split it into 2 3 gallon better bottles. One I used the "Thames Valley" yeast and it was fantastic kegged, will def brew again using this yeast. The other I used WLP002 and this is going to be served from a polypin real ale style. Im just waiting for it to carb up. Might get a little sample this weekend, for scientific reasons of course....

Well, I kegged mine on Tuesday night. Forced carbed for the first time and I think I over carbed. But since I have been letting pressure out over the last few days, it has been getting better. I think it tastes great though. Ill be surprised if the keg lasts too long. Already planning my next brew! BTW how do I know when I get to 1.8 volumes??

Well, I kegged mine on Tuesday night. Forced carbed for the first time and I think I over carbed. But since I have been letting pressure out over the last few days, it has been getting better. I think it tastes great though. Ill be surprised if the keg lasts too long. Already planning my next brew! BTW how do I know when I get to 1.8 volumes??

I'm not a kegger but I know there are calculators out there that tell you how much psi to set the regulator based on the temperature of your kegerator/keg. I'm sure google should score a few hits.

I printed this one out, laminated it and hung it in my kegerator

Force carbonation chart

Making this tomorrow, az. Probably gonna use EKG, and maybe willamette. US-04, as I'm out of notty.

45 minutes for the bittering addition?

Making this tomorrow, az. Probably gonna use EKG, and maybe willamette. US-04, as I'm out of notty.

45 minutes for the bittering addition?

I like both those hops! keep me posted on how you like the beer with them.

Yes the bittering addition is at 45 minutes, one of these days I'm going to FWH this one to see how it tastes with the smoothness I seem to get from it.

I just kegged this one last night. Had to make a few adjustments due to availability at the LHBS, and ended up going with Wyeast Yorkshire instead of Notty. Hydro sample tasted great! I know, I know ... it's like those Allrecipes.com reviews where people comment "I love this recipe, except I add X, Y and Z." :cross: Not the same, but this recipe was an inspiration for sure!

It was also my first time kegging, so I'm impatient. I didn't rock it, but I set it to 20 psi for a couple days at 44 F in the fridge, then I'll lower that to serving pressure (around 7 or 8). Can't wait to sample!!

PattyC said:
I just kegged this one last night. Had to make a few adjustments due to availability at the LHBS, and ended up going with Wyeast Yorkshire instead of Notty. Hydro sample tasted great! I know, I know ... it's like those Allrecipes.com reviews where people comment "I love this recipe, except I add X, Y and Z." :cross: Not the same, but this recipe was an inspiration for sure!

It was also my first time kegging, so I'm impatient. I didn't rock it, but I set it to 20 psi for a couple days at 44 F in the fridge, then I'll lower that to serving pressure (around 7 or 8). Can't wait to sample!!

I think you did just fine, I substitute ingredients all the time to use up what I have or what I can get.

There are some recipes that I have never brewed to the letter, and because I liked the results with my subs I just brew it with the substitutions from there on out.

Going to brew this again next weekend. I have had no time to brew in many months, cant wait! I am thinking of using Wyeast London ESB this time around and FWH... any thoughts?

Back