How cold is too cold for California lager 2112?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorJerseyHomebro

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm planning on making a lager for the first time ever. I got a huge amount of yeast saved from my last yeast cake of California Lager yeast and want to try fermenting it in my basement which is currently 52F. I read on Wyeast website that this is too cold and with brewing a lighter lager (which will be generously hopped with mt hood) would I be risking off flavors, even with a ginormous amount of yeast?

Thanks!
Matt

My guess, and that's all it is, a guess, is that you'll be ok using it at an ambient temperature of 52F since the active fermentation will warm it up a few degrees and get you very close to the lowest recommended temp of 58F.

Don't know that you would get off flavors. It may be an issue of a sluggish fermentation. If it doesn't work at 52 would you be able to move it somewhere that is about 60? If you want to do a true German style lager you might need to source some other yeast.

It's either 52 in the basement or 68 in my living room, my bedroom is between 58-65 but it fluctuates a lot more than either the living room or basement getting colder at night and warmer during the day. I don't think I'm going for a true german style lager, because I am planning on more late hop additions, but I do want a clean finish and no off yeastyness.

Start the beer in your living room, once the active fermentation is noticed, move to the basement. It will come out fine.

Back