Delirium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayMckeever

Reaction score
This is one of my all time favorites, and I noticed there was a kit on austinhomebrew.com . Has anyone brew'd this before?

i MAKE THIS BEER ALL THE TIME. vERY GOOD BEER. i JUST FLOATED MY LAST KEG AND ABOUT TO DO ANOTHER. Here is my recipe....I am entering in in the Big beer,Belgian and Barleywine show in January. I age it 6 months.

Delerium Tremens Yeild: 5 gallons
OG: 1.084-1.085
EG: 1.013-1.015
ABV: 9.5%

11.75 lbs Pilsner Malt
7 oz Munich malt
5 oz Biscuit Malt
3 oz Aromatic Malt

Mash grains @ 149 degrees for 90 minutes.

Bring to a boil and add:
1.5 lbs LightCandy Sugar
1 lb Inverted Sugar
1.5 oz Styrian Gold hops

Boil 45 minutes, add:

1/4 oz Styrian Gold Hops
1/4 ox Saaz Hops
1 tsp Irish Moss

Boil for 11 minutes, add:

1/4 oz Saaz Hops
1/2 tsp Paradise Seed

Boil for 4 minutes

Cool andpitch yeast. It isrecommended that you hold out a bit of the yeast and make a starter. Pitch the second batch 3-5 days before you bottle it.

Nice! Thanks for the quick response. I currently have an octoberfest in the primary as my first brew, but looks like I am heading to the home brew depot this weekend to get this one started! 6 months waiting huh? it's going to take a bunch of patience..... Have you ever made a clone of La Fin Du Monde?

I'minterested in this, but what yeast are you using/ or are dregs from a bottle necessary?

The AHS recipe calls for WLP530, Wyeast 1214, or T-58. I used 2 vials of WLP530 in a 1qt starter - went from 1.082 to 1.010 in two weeks.

This needs a blowoff rig or Fermcap or whatev. :cross:

I've got a batch of this clone fermenting in the closet, and I'd like to keg it with my new kegerator setup...
But I'm wondering about the seconds batch of yeast since i won't be bottle conditioning?

Delerium Nocturnum is even better, IMO. NB has a long thread on cloning it, some of the commentary there on the yeast strains probably applies equally well to the Tremens.

I was dissapointed in the tremens as well after the hype of it being the BEST BEER IN THE WORLD. Not my number 1. But I don't have teh trained taste buds those guys do.

I was dissapointed in the tremens as well after the hype of it being the BEST BEER IN THE WORLD. Not my number 1. But I don't have teh trained taste buds those guys do.

Who's said that about it? Usually I hear that even in the Belgian strong pale ale category, Duvel just edges Delerium Tremens.

The beers I hear "best in the world" about the most are Westvleteren 12 and Pliny the Younger. Having a Belgian quad and an American imperial IPA in the conversation underscores how silly a question that really is. Those styles of beer taste worlds apart. If you really love Belgian quads, chances are there are 10 of them you'd take over the top IIPA, and vice-versa.

And even within a style, something like (say) Three Philosophers, Rochefort 10, and St Bernardus Abt 12 have different appeals that are going to be rated differently according to your tastes.

Taste buds don't have to be trained to know what YOU like.:mug:
No, but they need trained to properly judge a beer and pull out all flavor complexities.

Who's said that about it?

Michael Jackson rated it as his World's best beer. Also some other (Names escape me) Beer Judges.

I'm thinking theri rating was probably more of a technically Best Beer brewed to guidelines type judging.

I could never tell you my all time favorite. It just depends too much on the mood I'm in. I enjoyed teh Tremens, but I enjoy the Rochefort 6, 8, 10 line more.

Latest posts

Back