Spruce Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackinskor

Reaction score
Looking at concocting a mix of Spruce Tips, Cranberry, Cloves, and maybe Orange - something probably 1-2 weeks late for the holidays but who cares.

My question is: Where can I get a nice selection of Spruce Tips other than going out into the country and gathering my own? (which I'm not above doing)

Hmm...I was looking into brewing a recipe with spruce tips but my impression was that you need to cut them in the spring when it's the new growth.

The flavor is probably a bit fresher and cleaner in the spring, but it's probably fine to use old growth too. It might be a bit stronger/harsher, but if used in moderation would probably make great beer. Sounds like an interesting recipe. Though with that much complexity, it might actually benefit from being aged from the spring to next holiday season!

I shall make this brew and get back to everyone. Party on, HBT forums, Party on.

i have two bags of frozen new growth spruce tips from this spring that i haven;t used yet.

I would be willing to part with one bag.

where in NY are you from.

my home of address is Oswego, NY although I move around the state working at diff senior assisted living homes (nursing homes) but wow tell me more im interested 100%~!!!

If you are in albany in the near future, we can meet up and you can have them.

Or, pay shipping, and i will mail them too you. Im betting i can get a bunch into one of those $5 priorty mail boxes.

Up to you. :)

Back