Altbier Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1GR8DA

Reaction score
I am currently brewing the all grain Exelciser Altbier From Midwest. Midwest recommends that the secondary be cooler than the primary to properly mimck the "traditional" way. There is no temp range as to place the secondary @ a lower temp. I have the eqiupment to ferment @lower temps. I just need to know what f@$king temp to place my secondary at.

Your assistance is appreciated.

I brewed this as my second beer. It was put in the basement on day one at 52deg. It has been there for 2 1/2 weeks now. The 52degs is steady. I used the wyeast german ale yeast and a starter, cooled to 60deg and pitched. It warmed up to 68 overnite and cooled down to 52deg in 18 hours. At 2 weeks the FG was 1.011(tasted great). I will let it set for another 1 1/2weeks or so then bottle.
It drove me crazy as there was no airlock activity at all.
Would like to campare your results as this was only my second brew.

Oh, I wrote Midwest to ask about the moving to a secondary thing and their response was that was a standard line in the instructions. I left mine in the primary bucket as my secondary is being used.

I bottled this two weels ago. Opened a bottle today. This will be a good one I believe. Good carbonation, good creamy head, the hops are coming thru nicely. Two more weeks should really improve.
I did this one with the extract kit with steeping grains.

To make a traditional altbier you actually want to be lagering it in the secondary, i.e. get it as close to freezing as you can. I've done my altbiers by putting the secondary in the fridge at around 4C (40F) for 2-3 weeks. It JUST fits, but takes up a lot of room. Cause of much discussion with SWMBO :)
It's amazing what a clean, smooth drinking beer this process produces!

Latest posts

Back