Another Electric HLT Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Maker

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to use my rectangular 70 qt cooler as a base for an eHLT.

Here's what I'm thinking... two 1500w elements placed horizontally through the back of the cooler, each fed by it's own power source (The biggest circuit I have in my apartment is 25 amps, and I think that load might be pushing it for that). Both units switched by SSRs and then either a PID or a simple Temp controller like the Love.

Now for the questions, Is it possible to control both heating elements with one controller? And how much space should there be between the elements and the bottom of the cooler?

It sucks that you cannot get away with ONE 1650W element and an A419 controller. OR use a single 240VAC element with the SSR. Using two 1500W elements with two SSRs and then a temp controller will be quite expensive for 3000W of power.

TWO SSRs $40
TWO Heatsinks $40
TWO elements $20
Love controller $50+

I think you can control both elements with one controller, just split the controller outputs. Also, You should be fine with three inches or more between the element and he bottom of the cooler.

So you think one 2.5KW element would be a better idea? I was thinking that the two elements would heat the larger volume a little better/quicker.

I agree that the one element would be cheaper. Unfortunately I can't go the 240VAC route... My apartment doesn't have a 240VAC circuit or I would.

I use one element and it can heat 10 gallons of water to 150-180 in a reasonable amount of time...

Back