Recipe suggestions for current ingredients on hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hume-ulus

Reaction score
I've asked for suggestions before and could use some ideas from the brain trust.

current grain on hand -

Briess 2 row - 150#
Victory malt - 2#
Special B -1#
Chocolate malt - 1/2#
Caramel malt 80L -#1
Black patent 1/2#
Roasted barley - 1/4#

hops on hand -

Columbus. 2#
Summit - 1/2#
Cascade - 1#
Calypso - 1#
Hallertau - 2 oz

US05 yeast

I'm looking for a ten gallon tested recipe with what I have. None of the programs I have have recipe suggestions unless I already have recipes in the system. Your help is appreciated. If no one has one I'll manage.

You have a lot of options with those. Here are just a few:

American Brown, Porter, Kitchen Sink CDA (use all the hops, maybe excepting the Hallertau), American pale ale (Summit + Columbus to bitter, Cascade + Calypso for flavor/aroma).

The CDA may be a stretch, since you really want debittered black or midnight wheat for the darkness.

Edit: Oops, just saw it is a 10 gallon batch, so the CDA is out - not enough hops.

It's starting to warm up- dark beers are on their way out. Why not do a APA/IPA? I'd go with 2-Row, C80 (3-4% of grist), and then a touch of victory for a little something interesting, maybe 1/2lb to 1lb in your 10 gallons. You'll end up in the amber/red color range, but I think it could be an awesome hoppy beer with some interesting flavors going on- I actually use C80 in an IPA I make from time to time- it's cool.

Bitter/FWH with your highest alpha hop, and flavor aroma with calypso and cascade. Enjoy!

Off the top of my head, here is an option for the American Brown:

75% efficiency
OG 1.055
ABV ~ 5.1%

18 lbs 2-row
1 lb C-80
4 oz Special B
1.5 lb Victory
7 oz Chocolate

Regular version: 22 IBU
0.5 oz Summit 60 minutes
1 oz Cascade 10 minutes

Hoppy version: 40 IBU
0.5 oz Summit 60 minutes
1 oz Columbus 20 minutes
1 oz Calypso 10 minutes
1 oz Cascade flameout

And here is one for an APA:
75% eff
OG: 1.057
ABV ~ 5.6%

20 lb 2-row
12 oz Victory
1 lb C-80

Hops: 39 IBU
0.5 oz Summit 60 minutes
1 oz Columbus 20 minutes
1 oz Calypso 10 minutes
1 oz Columbus flameout
1 oz Cascade dry-hop

BTW - Victory in pale ales == awesome. Adds a nice biscuity component reminiscent of an English ale to an APA. Almost required for a brown IMHO also.

cyclonite...... how much hops do you use in a cda? I have pounds of hops as denoted by the # symbol. sorry if I didn't make that clear. I appreciate all the input so far. I might even split the batch and lager half. I've been meaning to do a side by side comparison with the same wort.

daksin have you used any calypso? I Hott them from hops direct because of the cost and i was thinking the pear Apple profile would be awesome if it was the dominant hop and underlined with some spice and citrus hops. just to flesh out the rest of the pallet. bitter, sweet and "sour"

so do you have any notes on calypso that would help bring the apple and pear out to the front?

cyclonite...... how much hops do you use in a cda? I have pounds of hops as denoted by the # symbol. sorry if I didn't make that clear. I appreciate all the input so far. I might even split the batch and lager half. I've been meaning to do a side by side comparison with the same wort.

Ha, that would be my stupidity and lack of attention to detail, not your lack of clarity :tank:.

In that case, you have plenty of hops for a CDA. For my favorite hopped up CDA I use ~ 11 oz of hops for a 5.5 gallon batch (110 IBU, mostly late additions). I've done a less hoppy version with 6-7 oz of hops (80 IBU). I would strongly recommend using debittered black (carafa special) or midnight wheat for a CDA though instead of black patent or roasted barley - you want the hops to shine through over the roastiness and astringency (from the burnt husks).

Back