Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syn-ack

Reaction score
Ive been reading about cold crashing but am unclear about a few things. First dose cold crashing affect the flavor in the long run? Second is the point of cold crashing solely to clear it up? Are the flavors better from doing this?

syn-ack said:
Ive been reading about cold crashing but am unclear about a few things. First dose cold crashing affect the flavor in the long run? Second is the point of cold crashing solely to clear it up?

First question: no, second question: yes and to get rid of other suspended particulates that you might not want in your beer. For me, cold crashing in my conical allows me to shave weeks off of a beer's clarification cycle and arrive at a finished product quicker with no ill side effects.

I don't have a way of cold-crashing my kegs until they go in my kegerator. I really should leave it in there for a week or 2 before I drink it, but I never wait that long.

Point is, The beer tastes a hell of a lot better after the first week or two in addition to being clearer.

I've found bottled homebrew tastes better also if you put it in the fridge for a couple weeks before you drink it.

Give it a try. Easy enough experiment to run.

If I was going to describe the effect, I'd say the flavors are cleaner and it has less of muddled or harsh flavor.

thats called allowing your beer to mature a little
If you can resist robbing the keg craddle your beer will always taste better
Patience grasshopper

Back