Water quality question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAS98M

Reaction score
I've not been able to find much on this-it's probably here-and it is an ingredient question. I live in a small rural town we have a water co. that does chlorinate ,alot of folks here or that visit here say that the water quality is less than favorable-I swill it down right out of the tap and think it's just fine. I do have a large commercial bullet type water filter on my fridge ice maker and can tell the difference.... I have a Pur//Waterpik faucet mounted cartridge type filter in the kitchen-the closest well water(obtainable w/out question) is about 5 miles away.Do I have to drive for my brew water or is the home filtered stuff allright to use-it'd sure be easier.Any tips/input would sure be appreciated. Shane

If the home filtered tastes ok, then it is ok to use!
Lugging water to the home sucks, I'll agree!

chillHayze said:
If the home filtered tastes ok, then it is ok to use!
Lugging water to the home sucks, I'll agree!

I would agree....If it tastes good to you, then I would go with it.....

Personally, I can taste the impurities of the water by using ICE from the tap and then drinking water that is purified......for me that is a good rule of thumb.....I would do kinda like a taste test because your pallet should tell you the truth......Plus that I know in Michigan some of the freshest water I have ever tasted has come from a well.....

You'll just have to compaire.....

Well I've read that a certain type of chlorine stays in the water even if it's been filtered,and that chlorinated water should not be used-I figured the same-If it can't be tasted prior to brew then it shouldn't effect the final product....Shane

Since my son is willing to drive 40 miles to get Eldorado Springs water, I go along and get my brew water right out of the spring. I hate the smell and taste of chlorinated water. I have an under sink RO filter installed. I've used that a couple times. I'm sure to add gypsum when I do

2pugbrews said:
Since my son is willing to drive 40 miles to get Eldorado Springs water, I go along and get my brew water right out of the spring. I hate the smell and taste of chlorinated water. I have an under sink RO filter installed. I've used that a couple times. I'm sure to add gypsum when I do

Now that's dedication......

Back