Boilermaker Pickup Tube Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orencobrewer

Reaction score
Here's a question for all the Boilermaker owners out here.

1) How big is the pickup tube? From the pictures it Looks like 3/8" OD -- 1/4" ID?

2) If this is the size, does this cause any issues like clogging, or slowing fluid flow while pumping or gravity emptying?

Thanks!

mine is 1/2" OD but I'm not sure of the ID. I've only used it for 2 brews so far and haven't had any clogging issues. I used bagged pellets for one and loose leaf hops for the second. I used gravity and got nearly all the liquid.

QUOTE=orencobrewer;1299461]Here's a question for all the Boilermaker owners out here.

1) How big is the pickup tube? From the pictures it Looks like 3/8" OD -- 1/4" ID?

2) If this is the size, does this cause any issues like clogging, or slowing fluid flow while pumping or gravity emptying?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I don't have one, but my brewing buddy does. It looks like 3/8"" OD to me. That's the first thing I would change if I did buy one. I would up it to 1/2" ID somehow. Too much restriction with the 3/8" when using a pump IMO. The No. 1 thing you can do to improve pump flow rate is to minimize all restrictions on the suction side. The two main factors are the diameter and the length of the suction side hose or piping. The discharge side restrictions are equally important and limiting, but you can also have problems with cavitation on the suction side. Think short and fat for hoses and pipes for optimum performance. These simple considerations can vastly improve flow rates and reduce pumping problems. Sometimes It's hard to accept that you may need to replace all of your hoses and connectors because they are too small, especially if you bought the expensive QD's and silicone tubing. No one likes to buy hardware more than once for something that at first glance seems like a no brainer. I've done this several times with some stuff and it was painful every time. Go big from the start!

Back