Kelly's Honey Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I really like Flossmoor Station's Gandy Dancer Honey Ale, so we are trying to replicate it as best we can, this Saturday. Brewer Matt Van Wyk would only divulge that they use "mostly Northwest hops, the three 'C's" in their hop schedule.

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to post them.:)
~~~~~~~~
Kelly's Honey Blonde Ale

A ProMash Brewing Session Report
--------------------------------
Head Brewer: Mark Pannell
Asst Brewer: Kelly Westphal

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------
10-A American Ale, American Pale Ale
Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 54
Min Clr: 5 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50
Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 16.50
Anticipated OG: 1.082 (Plato: 19.88)
Anticipated SRM: 7.3
Anticipated IBU: 48.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes
Actual OG: 1.079 (Plato: 19.16)
Actual FG: 1.012 (Plato: 3.07)
Alc by Weight: 6.97%
by Volume: 8.92%

Extract/Sugar
Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
--------
12.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
1.50 lbs. Orange Blossom Honey Generic 1.035 0
1.50 lbs. Flaked Rye America 1.034 2
1.00 lbs. Crystal 30L America 1.035 30
0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt Belgium 1.033 2
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-------
0.50 oz. Chinook Whole 12.50 24.1 90 min.
0.50 oz. Centennial Whole 10.70 16.8 45 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 9.50 4.4 15 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 6.00 3.5 5 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Whole 6.00 3.5 (dry hop)

Extras
Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Tsp Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP023 Burton Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Multi Step

Dough In Temp: 100 Time: 10
Protein Rest Temp: 125 Time: 40
Saccharification Rest Temp: 158 Time: 60
Sparge Temp: 173 Time: 45

Looks awesome!

Have you ever used Gambrinus Honey malt? A little goes a LONG way, but it might add another hint of sweet, nuttiness to this one that could be nice. I wouldn't use more than .50 lb. though. .25 sounds more like it.

Also, why the Burton yeast? I like it, just wondering is all....

Dude said:
... Have you ever used Gambrinus Honey malt? ....
No, never have. I'm just using what I have in inventory. I thought about adding a little biscuit or Special B. I might run out to the LHBS at lunch and see if they have some honey malt. Sounds like it might be a nice addition!
Dude said:
... Also, why the Burton yeast? I like it, just wondering is all....
Two reasons... okay, three now that I think about it. First, I'm racking over a previous cake of Burton. Secondly, the brewer at Flossmoor Station said all of their ales use an English Ale yeast. Finally, I'll be using my local tap water (PUR filtered) with no treatments. It is very hard and high in calcium - pretty close to Burton water. I'm looking for a nice balance b/w dryness and sweetness.

I'm stopping by Flossmoor Station tonight before I pick up said girlfriend for an early Valentine's dinner. I'm picking up a growler of the stuff and will have a pint there - research, you know!;)

I racked this to secondary the other night. It had a nice, smooth flavor, kida warms you up! But it was just a slight - and I do mean slight - bit sweet. So, I decided to dry hop the secondary with an ounce of Willamette hops. I think after it mellows for a couple weeks in the secondary, this stuff is gonna be great! The OG was a bit lower than ProMash figured, but it is still on target to reach an ABV of 7.8%!:eek: :tank:

Will dryhopping really counteract the sweetness? Seems like you would have to go with some sort of hop oil/tea to get a bittering affect to counteract the sweetness. However, at that abv I'm of the opinion it'll mellow out with a little time in the secondary.

Jeff Meyers said:
Why did you do a protein rest?
To better convert the flaked rye. I'd done something similar with an extract w/ grains recipe and it worked out very well.
BeeGee said:
Will dryhopping really counteract the sweetness?
Probably not, but I believe it will give more aroma, which should fool the senses into thinking it is hoppier than it really is.;)
BeeGee said:
... at that abv I'm of the opinion it'll mellow out with a little time in the secondary.
I think so, too.

Back