AHS Black ale as a lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Nyholm

Reaction score
I really like AHS's Black Ale and was thinking of doing it as a lager to try to get a cleaner finish and an overall better taste. Here is the recipe:
10 lbs 2 row
8 oz De bittered Black Malt
8 oz C90
.75 oz Galena 60 min
.25 oz Galena 15 min

Danstar Windsor Ale

I think I do not like the yeast as it imparts a (strange to say) beer taste. Almost like a budweiser taste that I just dont enjoy. I do love the beer, I just think it could be better with a cleaner taste. Would it be worthwhile to go with a lager yeast (suggestions?) or even something like Nottingham or S05? If I did make any changes to the yeast, does the recipe sound good as is? I wouldn't mind a little more creamyness, so I was thinking adding some midnight wheat, but not sure what to take out. The other yeasts they recommened are:
White Labs English Ale blend 085
Wyeast London ESB 1968

Thank for the suggestions! Brew on!

Try the Wyeast GreenBelt yeast they have. I assume AHS is Austin Homebrew.
This is my favorite yeast when I want something other than a clean fermenter. I feel like it has a creaminess and no added sweetness or fruitiness. It also has a good flavor but its not yeasty, just has an added flavor profile that I like.
Unless you're going to lager, for that I suggest WLP833 German Bock Lager you dont have to use it on bock I used it for a Vienna Lager

Basically you'll end up with a Schwartz beer. :D
I personally don't buy kits, not in my budget, I make 3 lagers every 3-4 months in rotation, my keezer has 2 lagers(holds 16 kegs) in it 1 on tap and 1 conditioning on CO2.
I don't tap into them til at least 2-3 months After there kegged.

I got stuck on this.type of beer while in Australia and New Zealand, but it is obviously not as popular around here. I have the name written down somewhere, but they make a great black lager. Starts with an M :)

Latest posts

Back