DIY glycol chilled plastic conical fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious on your thoughts. I currently ferment in my basement, so that is where the conical would go. I do all of my brewing in my garage. Do you think it would be a good idea to drain my brew kettle into two 6 gallon buckets, carry those down stairs, and then dump them into the conical?

Just curious on your thoughts. I currently ferment in my basement, so that is where the conical would go. I do all of my brewing in my garage. Do you think it would be a good idea to drain my brew kettle into two 6 gallon buckets, carry those down stairs, and then dump them into the conical?

I have been thinking about this too. I even had a crazy idea of running a hose from the brewkettle to the basement..........

that seems like the more sane option is you ask me haha buckets wouldnt be bad except for the extra work and extra chance of a brew day disaster!

That's exactly what I do. Two buckets. I've contemplated the 30' hose.......it would be a nuisance to clean and sanitize I think.

I'd stick with buckets. Much less hassle to clean/sanitize than a 30 ft hose. On the plus side, it'll be a lot easier to keg the beer from a conical instead of a carboy. No need for racking canes anymore.

As it is I brew in the garage and don't have a water line out there. So, I carry 5 gal buckets of water to brew with. It's a bit of a pain, but I had no extra room for a sink.

I'd stick with buckets. Much less hassle to clean/sanitize than a 30 ft hose. On the plus side, it'll be a lot easier to keg the beer from a conical instead of a carboy. No need for racking canes anymore.

As it is I brew in the garage and don't have a water line out there. So, I carry 5 gal buckets of water to brew with. It's a bit of a pain, but I had no extra room for a sink.

I brew in a detached garage as well. I just run a long drinking water safe hose to the garage on brew day. I just roll it up on a roller with wheels when I'm done with it after draining it. I usually just blast CO2 through the hose to push out all of the water. It's a pain, but it's better than carrying a bunch of buckets to the garage.

Thermowell in place:
IMG_0687.JPG

Thank god this fit. Just barely makes it through the lid:
IMG_0689.JPG

Quick disconnects in place on the lid:
IMG_0691.JPG

Still need the tri-clover connection for the blow off tube in the center fitting, but those will hopefully ship soon.

Now I just need to finish connecting the fittings on the other two conicals...

I brew in a detached garage as well. I just run a long drinking water safe hose to the garage on brew day. I just roll it up on a roller with wheels when I'm done with it after draining it. I usually just blast CO2 through the hose to push out all of the water. It's a pain, but it's better than carrying a bunch of buckets to the garage.

I generally brew with RO water. So, I'm stuck with buckets.

Gotcha. That's worth the trouble, I suppose. I just use a whole house carbon filter, but it's not nearly as good as RO. I'll sit back and continue to enjoy your build. :mug:

I generally brew with RO water. So, I'm stuck with buckets.

And the remaining conical fittings are done:

IMG_0696.JPG

Now all that's left is the tri-clover blowoff valve fittings and the replacement ball valves. Thankfully the ball valves were shipped from China yesterday. So, hopefully the boat gets here fast.

Gotcha. That's worth the trouble, I suppose. I just use a whole house carbon filter, but it's not nearly as good as RO. I'll sit back and continue to enjoy your build. :mug:

For water, I have a inline house water filter and water softener setup. Then on my sink, I have a dual filter setup. So days before brewing, I fill up a bunch of 2 1/2 gallon water jugs and put them in the garage. Or if I'm going to the store, I bring them with me, I think it's $0.39 / gallon to fill them.

And the remaining conical fittings are done:

IMG_0696.JPG

Now all that's left is the tri-clover blowoff valve fittings and the replacement ball valves. Thankfully the ball valves were shipped from China yesterday. So, hopefully the boat gets here fast.

Looking great!

I hope you won't have condensation problems with your metal connectors.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

At some point I recommend rigging up some sort of temporary way to measure temperature of the beer at both the very top and bottom of the fermenter. I did this when using the brewhemoth chiller for the first few times, and found SIGNIFICANT (10+degF) differences after the ferment was done, when there was no more fermentation to stir things up. Especially when holding at lager temps in a 75degF room, there was a lot of condensation that dripped over the bottom port and grew mildew in short order. Just some things to consider....

At some point I recommend rigging up some sort of temporary way to measure temperature of the beer at both the very top and bottom of the fermenter. I did this when using the brewhemoth chiller for the first few times, and found SIGNIFICANT (10+degF) differences after the ferment was done, when there was no more fermentation to stir things up. Especially when holding at lager temps in a 75degF room, there was a lot of condensation that dripped over the bottom port and grew mildew in short order. Just some things to consider....

What was your solution to fix the temperature difference?

What was your solution to fix the temperature difference?

Sold the immersion chiller and put the whole thing in a temp controlled box with a fan to circulate air inside. If I had to use an immersion chiller I would make sure it had an even amount of coil area from top to bottom. Also, a room that was close to the ferm temp would help a lot. I had first thought about just chucking a big foam box over the whole thing, then figured I should have some air circulation, and once there, figured I would just heat/chill the box directly.

I had also tried putting an old thick canvas sleeping bag over it, which helped to be able to drop temps lower and/or use less power, but condensation was still a problem and the bag would eventually get wet around the bottom. Really didn't like the mildew on my fancy triclover butterflies!

I still hope to see this chiller project with a couple of probes during the chilling period when the ferment is over. Seems like a better spread of coil than I had.

Replacement ball valves finally showed up today. With any luck, I'll be able to give the system a trial run this weekend.

New ball valve is in place as well as the new driver board.

Unfortunately it looks like the o-rings aren't going to keep the attachment for the lid air tight. So, I siliconed that in place and am now waiting for everything to dry. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to do the trial run.

BCS.jpg

Well, the chiller actually works. First run through of the chiller and it's actually cooling the water I'm using for the test. The ball valves also work too. Once the water is at temp I'll start testing the pump.

Pump and ball valves work too. There's a small leak I need to fix out of the cooler and some programming to do, but otherwise the concept works.

Got the spray ball working today too.

Here's the pump doing its magic:
IMG_0702.JPG

It takes a little bit to adjust the flow to the point that it doesn't pump all the cleaner out of the bucket, but it works well

Spray ball in action:
IMG_0704.JPG

From a quick look, it looks like it covers everything quite well.

Tri-clover connection on the lid:
IMG_0707.JPG

Is she up to cruising altitude yet? How often do the zones and main reservoir ac kick on?

Just got a smaller water pump today. If the silicone has finally dried I should be using it on a batch this weekend.

I'm starting to feel a bit like Goldilocks here. The 1/4 HP pump was way too much, the 400GPH pump was way too little. Thankfully the 1/6 HP pump appears to be just right. One more leak to fix on one of the chillers and a problem with the ball valve on ferm 3 (again) and I should be good to go.

For anyone that happens to set this up for themselves in the future, ladder logic works perfectly to control the pump on the BCS. Otherwise the pump would run 24/7 while the fermentation is going.

Test run of the chiller using water works great. Here's a rather bad phone photo of the chiller at work:

IMG_0711.JPG

And a screenshot after the water came to temp:

TestRun.jpg

Looks like I should be all set for a first ferment tomorrow.

I'm starting to feel a bit like Goldilocks here. The 1/4 HP pump was way too much, the 400GPH pump was way too little. Thankfully the 1/6 HP pump appears to be just right.
I hope the 1/6 HP pump will work for you.
My cleaning setup requires a 3/4 HP pump to remove wall deposits after fermentation or boiling.
Some hitting force is required to remove the stubborn deposits in my equipment.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I hope the 1/6 HP pump will work for you.
My cleaning setup requires a 3/4 HP pump to remove wall deposits after fermentation or boiling.
Some hitting force is required to remove the stubborn deposits in my equipment.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I'm using the 1/6 HP pump for pumping glycol through the system.

The 1/4 HP pump is going to be used for the spray ball. The main problem I have now is that the 1/4 HP pump fills the conical faster than it drains. I might have to remove the tubing entirely and drain the conical directly in to the bucket I'm using.

Well, it's finally up and running. The first batch is in one of the conicals.

Here's a temp graph:
ConicalGraph.png

I'm currently running water through the system as a trial run. So, the water is set to 40 deg. F. The A/C unit will kick on once the water reaches 50 and cool it back down to 40.

It also looks like we're due for a heat wave in the next couple days with ambient temps reaching ~95. So, we'll see how it keeps up.

Have you sketched out your system as built, that would be interesting to see.

I haven't as of yet, but will if I get some time and find some appropriate visio icons for it.

In the mean time, take out the cool room, storage tanks and the like and that's how it's plumbed.

For those that asked:

Ambient temp today is around 80 and with one fermenter running, the A/C unit comes on for 5-10 minutes once every 3-4 hours.

I'm using the 1/6 HP pump for pumping glycol through the system.

The 1/4 HP pump is going to be used for the spray ball. The main problem I have now is that the 1/4 HP pump fills the conical faster than it drains. I might have to remove the tubing entirely and drain the conical directly in to the bucket I'm using.

Your problem may be your return hose. I use 1.5" on mine to keep up. I also have a hose on the racking valve too.

Maybe we will be the only ones to run into issue, but when we cleaned our conicals without using ~180 degree water, we ended up with about 10 batches of molded beer. Just my two cents. Just concerns me to see that you are pumping unheated water though the CIP heads.

Back