CO2 Regulator problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lousybeer

Reaction score
So I finally set up my kegerator I got. It came with a 2.5 lb Co2 tank and a regulator. I purchased a corny and the disconnects and finally started force carbing 3 days ago in the kegerator. I've read other posts and found the charts for style vs temp vs psi, but the regulator won't let the pressure get lower than 14 psi. I can go higher but not lower. I read that you should carb at serving temps which is why i put it in the kegerator.

3 questions:

-is this just a cheap regulator?

-after it gets carbed would you recommend disconnecting the gas to save on gas if I don't plan to drink it right away?

-if I serve it at 14 psi will the pressure be too high?

Does any have any possible solutions?

Before you do anything, disconnect the gas line to the keg, turn on the tank valve and see if you can dial the primary regulator down below 14psi. Don't forget to hit the pressure relief valve on the way down as there's no way for pressure down-stream of the regulator to go down otherwise...

Cheers!

3 questions:

-is this just a cheap regulator?

-after it gets carbed would you recommend disconnecting the gas to save on gas if I don't plan to drink it right away?

-if I serve it at 14 psi will the pressure be too high?

1) Need a picture or type and model of regulator.
2) As long as you have no leaks and the reg holds at set pressure, once the beer gets to it's carbed level the only gas used is to push it out the faucet.
3) Depends on temperature of the refrigerated space. If you search this site they're are several charts that will help you.

Back