Licorice / Anise beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaseicus

Reaction score
I've decided that it was time to make a licorice beer. I am a bi fan of black licorice, and i feel it would blend well with a stout. What would be the best way to go about this? Would it be better to steep some anise seed and licorice root in the boil, or would it be better to drop a few sticks of brewers licorice (which appears to just be the candy) during the boil? How much of each method would be good for a 5 gallon batch? As far as intensity is concerned, Im looking to add noticeable flavor, without overpowering the beer. What strains of hops would compliment a livorice flavor? Thanks!

I'll bring this one back from the dead. I'm brewing up a batch of a licorice porter for a friend's birthday soon. 8 oz molasses and 3/4-oz of licorice bits. 5% each of black patent, biscuit malt, and roasted barley. Half an ounce of Perle at 60 minutes and another ounce at 20 minutes. Pretty nice coffee/toffee drink (a coffee mug of the non-hopped wort + shot of jameson ftw). It's pretty much finished up where I want it, and there's just a bare hint of the licorice. He wants more of that anise bite in it. I was thinking of putting it in a secondary with maybe .25 tsp of anise seen and another half ounce of licorice for the week? Anybody have hints on the best way to getting what he wants?

This sounds awesome. Might try it soon. I was looking for a recipe that included ouzo for a Greek friend of mine. Think ouzo could work instead of the licorice or anise? (If you don't know ouzo it's anise liqueur, like sambuca.)

I'm also looking for a recipe that could incorporate Metaxa (Greek brandy) if that's possible.

Latest posts

Back