first cider of 2012 - black cherry apple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apple_Jacker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got bored this evening and decided to go for a 1 gallon cider experiment using 1 gallon of apple cider and 3 cups of 100% black cherry juice. I used Lalvin EC-1118 for the first time, and added 2 cups of sugar. My initial gravity is 1.102. It didn't take but a few minutes for the yeast to multiply exponentially as you can see in the picture. I'll let it sit in the primary for 2 or 3 weeks, rack it into an empty 1 gallon wine bottle, then leave it be for a few more weeks. My neighbor got to witness cider being made for the first time; she just may convince her boyfriend to join me in my hobby...if my homemade Hefeweizen doesn't do the trick first :) Anybody else use black cherry juice in their cider?

ForumRunner_20120713_215036.jpg

Sounds like an all-too-drinkable brew, like the "Snakebite and Black" we used to drink as teenagers (cider, beer and blackcurrant syrup - yes, dear oh dear, to be blamed for many a youthful misdeed...)

Let us know what it's like.

Is that store-bought cider? Seems a shame to use fresh apple juice in an experiment like that, not sure there would be much of a difference. We have frozen black cherries round here, I think I would be tempted to chuck a load of those in the secondary one time.

No, I got this stuff from the store. The local orchard wasn't yet open when I started this one. I did taste this about a month ago and it seemed to be doing alright. I was hoping to have this one ready for Halloween or thanksgiving. If not, then Christmas or new years.

And I ended up making this one a wine as I let the ABV run away from me. I do have a thread about this with a more detailed recipe.

Never tried it. I am assuming the black cherries are less tart than red? Should turn out great. Making my first batch (46 Litres), and I'm really amazed at all of the possibilities as far a flavoring goes. I've heard of raisins, cinnamon, crasins, pear, and caramel. Never even heard of anyone using black (or regular) cherries though.

Back