similar problem to gluten allergy, possibly gluten?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
My one friend who drinks as much as we do is unable to drink most beers and we have never been able to figure out what the reason is. She's never been diagnosed with celiac's disease and can eat bread and other stuff fine, and is able to drink some kinds of beer without a problem, but not others, at which point she throws up a bunch and feels sick. we've never been able to figure it out and i'm wondering if anyone might know of other problems that interfere with a persons ability to drink beer??

she is able to drink cider, wine, spirits without any problem ??

It might be a reaction to high bittering levels or if the problem is dark beers, the caramels. She needs to keep track of what beers do or don't cause the problem.

yeah, i forgot to say the beer types
she definitely has a problem with high adjunct/preservative beers like malt liquor and cheap beer, she seemed to have no problem with steam whistle, and had a problem after either some DAB's and heinekens. im not sure if its an issue with trace amounts of a preservative or cleaner in some beers or is it possible to have a hop allergy?

My one friend who drinks as much as we do is unable to drink most beers and we have never been able to figure out what the reason is. She's never been diagnosed with celiac's disease and can eat bread and other stuff fine, and is able to drink some kinds of beer without a problem, but not others, at which point she throws up a bunch and feels sick. we've never been able to figure it out and i'm wondering if anyone might know of other problems that interfere with a persons ability to drink beer??

she is able to drink cider, wine, spirits without any problem ??

I have a couple of good friends that can not drink beer because they have what was diagnosed as yeast allergies. I have my doubts as to that diagnosis as they both drink wine all the time. Anyone else ever hear of this problem?

I have a couple of good friends that can not drink beer because they have what was diagnosed as yeast allergies. I have my doubts as to that diagnosis as they both drink wine all the time. Anyone else ever hear of this problem?

This sounds like a gluten allergy or celiacs. It gets mis-diagnosed a ton. Usually not in this part of the country though. Gluten and yeast are so close in nature, they almost do the same things. Can they eat other stuff without yeast in it, but has gluten? Pasta? Gluten free beer is one thing, but yeast free beer???

As for the lady above...it looks like she is allergic to macrobrews. Now, I don't literally mean that just because they are big, but there must be something in the process unique to the really big guys, a preservative or clearing agent would be my first thoughts.

This sounds like a gluten allergy or celiacs. It gets mis-diagnosed a ton. Usually not in this part of the country though. Gluten and yeast are so close in nature, they almost do the same things. Can they eat other stuff without yeast in it, but has gluten? Pasta? Gluten free beer is one thing, but yeast free beer???

As for the lady above...it looks like she is allergic to macrobrews. Now, I don't literally mean that just because they are big, but there must be something in the process unique to the really big guys, a preservative or clearing agent would be my first thoughts.

They can eat and drink about anything except beer. Your theory is just as palusable about additives etc. Gluten intolerance is not really an allergy per se, the way I understand it. It's more of a reaction to the gluten protein. And There's a lot of people that have suffered for years without a proper diagnosis. I have a celiac aquaintance in Oregon who is an RN. Believe ir not she goes to MD seminars and tells the MDs how to diagnose it because they miss it all the time.

I have some Japanese friends who are just plain allergic to alcohol and flush out when they drink, which comman among lots of Asians.

There is always a certain amount of methanol alcohol produced in fermentation. In distilling, the first % that comes out of a still is discarded. Maybe the macros use some yeasts that produce more methanol than others.

Like to hear comments from others.

Leeinwa

They can eat and drink about anything except beer. Your theory is just as palusable about additives etc. Gluten intolerance is not really an allergy per se, the way I understand it. It's more of a reaction to the gluten protein. And There's a lot of people that have suffered for years without a proper diagnosis. I have a celiac aquaintance in Oregon who is an RN. Believe ir not she goes to MD seminars and tells the MDs how to diagnose it because they miss it all the time.

Oregon medical in certain parts of the state could be considered the forefront for the diagnosis of this disease. Seems like there are a lot of people locally who have it (my mom, sister, and GF for starters). Gluten intolerance is similar to lactose intolerance, in that your body not only cannot digest the problem you ingested, but anything else either while it attacks the "foreign" nutrient. This is why you can die from it, no absorbtion. It can also cause cancer in your digestive system supposedly.

Just thought of something...what if your friends are just allergic to barley?

It's important to maintain a distinction between Celiac Disease and gluten intolerance. While often lumped together, they are not the same thing, and have different modes of action. Gluten intolerance is similar to lactose intolerance, and its primary symptom is GI distress. Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disorder primarily affecting the small intestine, but which also has significant secondary complications for people who continue to consume gluten (for example, because of a lack of diagnosis).

I agree with the previous poster... given that your friend can eat bread, but has problems with certain beers, this points much more toward something like a sensitivity to barley, than it does more broadly to gluten.

obviously im not a fan of macros hehe, but i think that is quite plausible and i didnt consider that. every one of the beers that made her ill were macros. it could simply be part of their industrial scale production, anything from trace cleaning remnants to additives. thanks

Oregon medical in certain parts of the state could be considered the forefront for the diagnosis of this disease. Seems like there are a lot of people locally who have it (my mom, sister, and GF for starters). Gluten intolerance is similar to lactose intolerance, in that your body not only cannot digest the problem you ingested, but anything else either while it attacks the "foreign" nutrient. This is why you can die from it, no absorbtion. It can also cause cancer in your digestive system supposedly.

Just thought of something...what if your friends are just allergic to barley?

Checked with one of my friends last night and asked him a couple of questions. He said he loves barley soup and 7 grain breads, many which contain malted barley flour. Getting to sound more like hop allergies to me.

leeinwa

make him a hop tea to test the theory? ed worts apfelwein may be something us GF people should really get to know. thats still on my to do list

make him a hop tea to test the theory? ed worts apfelwein may be something us GF people should really get to know. thats still on my to do list

He won't let him self get sick to satisfy MY experiment and curiousity!!!

Lee, Ginger Beer. Hop free. need a recipe?

Ooh, that sounds interesting...

Back on the celiacs thing, a lot of people aren't diagnosed. I had been having problems for quite a few years, and just got diagnosed a week ago. It is kind of dumb, the docs seem happy to tell you to take drugs (The first few times I was in, they said my digestive issues were the result of nasal drainage, the insomnia, exhaustion, headaches were all the result of depression, so they put me on allergy meds, nasal spray, and anti-depressants, a combo which made me puke) but don't do a relatively simple blood test (I got a call back literally hours after my blood was drawn).

I think that as the awareness of this goes up, more and more people will get diagnosed. For some, the digestive issues aren't even significant (or at least, they don't have any noticeable symptoms). For example, one of the teachers my mom (and mom-in-law, for that matter) works with was diagnosed because she was anemic and her hair was falling out.

good grief. echo all that. It has never been more clear that they are "Medical" doctors (of medicine!), &/or surgery.

All ya gotta do with this is quit the gluten. I wish SOME of the gluten information came from the medical community because it would be very helpful with getting the word out much better.

good stuff here: sally Fallon's book Nourishing Traditions & Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz. Fun stuff for anyone who loves fermentation, like us home brewers for example.

gluten, not essential, like cholesterol is. In fact, it's more like a poison really. again similar to low fat foods. dangerous for anyone not just the celiac club. my world has turned upside down since arriving at the same conclusion in early Jan'y (my family of 4 as well). I must sound a little kooky when I saw things like: "everything you have ever been told about nutrition is probably wrong & harmful too" oh well. road to recovery and betterment.

bottom line dorklord dont simply avoid the harmful gluten but also get yourself the healing foods. plan ahead, life is good, even way better, just far less convenient. oh and try my flowergarden. I'm curious if anyone might duplicate my results. love that stuff, a little too much!

good grief. echo all that. It has never been more clear that they are "Medical" doctors (of medicine!), &/or surgery.

All ya gotta do with this is quit the gluten. I wish SOME of the gluten information came from the medical community because it would be very helpful with getting the word out much better.

good stuff here: sally Fallon's book Nourishing Traditions & Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz. Fun stuff for anyone who loves fermentation, like us home brewers for example.

gluten, not essential, like cholesterol is. In fact, it's more like a poison really. again similar to low fat foods. dangerous for anyone not just the celiac club. my world has turned upside down since arriving at the same conclusion in early Jan'y (my family of 4 as well). I must sound a little kooky when I saw things like: "everything you have ever been told about nutrition is probably wrong & harmful too" oh well. road to recovery and betterment.

bottom line dorklord dont simply avoid the harmful gluten but also get yourself the healing foods. plan ahead, life is good, even way better, just far less convenient. oh and try my flowergarden. I'm curious if anyone might duplicate my results. love that stuff, a little too much!

Flowergarden? Is that a recipe you've got posted somewhere? I'd be interested in the 'hop free' ginger beer, I have a friend who seems to have a reaction to hops...(I'm actually going to have to get ahold of her, as if I brew a batch of gluten free beer, with no hops, I'll be able to say it is literally nothing like any beer you've ever had...)

well Flowergarden is posted somewhere in here however it's all about the hops! So you might want to look up Ed Worts Apflewein (apple cider (or was it juice) and yeast, or the meads which are honey & water. you can do this with commercial or airborne yeasts. These are your best bets for hop free GF brews. or ginger beer also hop free, and delish.

Ginger beer for ya...honey & ginger no hops... included in BOTH of the books I mentioned above. What is extra fun about this is making the "bug" which is like making a yeast starter.

http://www.chelseagreen.com/content/recipe-ginger-beer/

Edit PS; use honey (raw, unpasteurized) in lieu of table sugar, favoring the natural enzymes of the honey, turning this beverage into a turbo healing elixir!

This is an alcohol free recipe. I believe that is technically true, but I would suspect a teeny weeny bit of alcohol, like homebrew soda pop, almost not worth mentioning. There is probably a way to make alcofied ginger beer because I've had it (Goslings) and boy was it good.

I am allergic to Malt. All malt's whether it be Malted milk balls or the malt we use to make beer. Luckily for me it's not a bad allergy and I'll just live with the results. I get congested in the nose and sinus area with lighter beers, and depending on the amount consumed and the amount of Malt in higher gravity beers I can get a complete sinus infection in a mater of hours. Luckily I can rinse and within 3-5 days the infection is gone.

With that said, could your friend have a much more serious Malt Allergy? and second... would making a home brew following the gluten free way help me in any way? Does Sorgum have any "Malt" properties? Exactly what is sorgum?

interesting. sorghum is not malted. its a grassy grain plant native to Africa. It's similar to wheat but lacks the gluten.

Test a widely available Redbridge gluten free sorghum beer. if not that curious then skip ahead to honey & apple based home "brews"

so.. i made some apfelwein quite a while ago, and shes been able to drink apfelwein just fine, so at least homebrew (minus the malt and hops) is cleared up. now to test a bottle of homebrew beer, and hopefully be able to isolate whether its a commercial product problem or the malt/hops itself

unfortunately however, to me it seems likely to just be a mild gluten allergy

i cant imagine what i'd do if i ever became allergic to malt..

Back