small batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim83

Reaction score
i am brewing mt first batch and i am unsure how long to let it ferment it looks like most peoples suggestions are to ferment for around 4 weeks but those suggestions are for 5 gal batches mine is small its only 1 gal so my question is is fermentation time shorter for smaller batches or should i leave it alone for 4 weeks before i bottle

"It depends."

What's your recipe?

In general, batch size is less important than other factors. The population density of the yeast will stabilize in the wort, and do their stuff in about the same amount of time. But 1 gallon is pretty small, so I don't know for sure.

My 1 gallon batches do ferment a bit more quickly than my 5 gallon batches, but it depends on the style and the recipe. I bottled a small batch blonde in about 14 days and it was clear and great, but I am letting my small batch stout go about a month before bottling.

So yeah, what frazier said, "it depends". What are you making?

this is the recipe it is very simple

1.6 # briess bavarian wheat liquid malt
0.25 oz mt hood hops 60 min boil
0.25 oz mt hood hops 20 min boil
1/4 tsp irish moss 15 min boil
i don't remember what yeast i used the guy at the store said it was for wheat bears and i used a heaping 1/4 tsp

thank you for the responses

Are small batches a good approach for experimental beers?

Seems like a good way to try out new ingredients without ending up with 45 bottles worth of questionable beer. I'm assuming the same equipment (carboys/buckets/etc) could still be used.

Or do people usually do small batches because of space/time constraints?

i am doing a small batch because that is the equipment i have it was given to my by a friend who was never going to use it. it does seem to me that it would be a good way to test new recipes as you can do a small batch for fairly cheap and if you don't like the beer you haven't spent a ton of money and time on 5 gal of beer you will never drink

I love experimenting with small batches. I just went to buying in bulk and got a barley crusher so I can make 1-2 gallon batches very easily after work. With my BIAB setup I can finish one in about 2.5 hrs. I love the variety and can tweak a recipe before I break out my Brutus 20 to make a full 5 gallon batch. There is nothing worse than wasting 5-6 hrs brewing and over a month of fermenting and then realize you don't like the beer you just made.

To slim, that wheat should be done very quickly like elmetal said. Get some cooper's drops and you can carb that up in about 3-5 days.

Back