To prevent bottle bombs: A sour question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor the Mighty

Reaction score
I'm going to bottle my beloved sour beer today that has been resting for a long time now, and DO NOT want to get bottle bombs out of it, namely because i know how attenuative brett/lacto/pedio can be, so how much sugar should i add for bottle conditioning?

You can put it in champagne or Belgian bottles, but if you back off just a bit on the priming sugar (maybe 3.5oz), I think it will be OK. I have some Flanders brown in regular 12oz bottles and it's been OK for at least 3 weeks anyway.

2oz per gal lambic for ~ 5 vol CO2 & .5 - .75oz per gal flanders for ~ 2 - 2.5 vol CO2.

the only way to know how much carbonation you'll have is to know what your FG is and how long it's been where it is. if it's 1.015 and has been steadily dropping for 1 yr, it may still drop adding to inaccurate carbonation rates. if it's 1.004 and steady, i'm thinking that's optimal that way you can be positive how much additionally added sugar will affect end product (ie: carbonation).

i bottled some flanders red yesterday using champagne bottles and regular wine corks & cages. it worked out great, but i'll let you know in a year how it stands the test of time. i used around 2 oz for 2 gal and added a few sprinkles of wine yeast for carbonation. beer was 1.004 when i bottled btw. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/corking-your-belgian-bottles-portuguese-corker-137529/

Back