I dub 9/7 as Open Your Mail Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
So I'm cleaning off my desk in the den this morning, which I seldom do. Huge piles of stuff. I'm shredding all sorts of things. I pay bills online and never open anything. Old bills, junk mail...all into the shredder. I'm fixing to shred one from my mortgage company...it's from June. I'm literally holding it above the shredder when I see that it looks a little different than the normal statement. So I stop and open it up. It's an escrow refund check for $2863.35. Heh. If I'd shredded that thing I'd never even have know anything about it. Jeebus.

Open your mail today.

That's why I open ALL mail before shredding it. I almost lost a rebate check because it looked like one of those "cash our check means you'll sign up for our service" scam letters.

Wow, I usually get those letters every year but they say "we're increasing your payment by $20/month to fund your escrow account." It'd be awesome to get a refund!

Wow, I usually get those letters every year but they say "we're increasing your payment by $20/month to fund your escrow account." It'd be awesome to get a refund!

Sort of. It's happened before. My mortgage payment varies wildly. A few years ago they sent me a check like this and then a couple of years later my payment it went up $200 a month because the escrow account was dry. It's now gone down $200 a month and they sent me this check for the overage. You know what's going to happen a year or two from now, right? Back up a couple of hundred because the escrow account is dry again. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

So I'm cleaning off my desk in the den this morning, which I seldom do. Huge piles of stuff. I'm shredding all sorts of things. I pay bills online and never open anything. Old bills, junk mail...all into the shredder. I'm fixing to shred one from my mortgage company...it's from June. I'm literally holding it above the shredder when I see that it looks a little different than the normal statement. So I stop and open it up. It's an escrow refund check for $2863.35. Heh. If I'd shredded that thing I'd never even have know anything about it. Jeebus.

Open your mail today.

I ripped Metallica tickets in half once.

:eek:

Back