Northern Brewer Mash/Boil screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PKsBrew

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience using the NB mash/boil screen instead of the SS braid setup? NORTHERN BREWER: Weldless Fittings
I realize I could build one myself for less $$ but this seems like a really slick combination and looks like it would be easy to keep clean. Wondering if they would collapse under the weight of an average 5 gal batch or if they would cause stuck sprages? Any info would help. Thanks

Thanks for the input. I would be using it for my 10 gal round cooler MLT. So it would probably need to be a little more sturdy than if it was in my boil kettle. I'm trying to figure out if others use the braided SS set up becuse of cost or durability or effectivness. Just dipping my toes into the waters of AG at this point!

I just got one recently for my mash tun. Haven't got to use it yet, but that thing is really stiff. I doubt the weight of the grain would impact it.

This is exactly what I use in my current MLT set up. I did have some issues with it bending because I stirred too deeply with my spoon, so I reinforced it with a section of copper pipe with multiple holes drilled in it. Works great.

I also use one in my boil kettle, but use leaf hops, so I don't know how it will hold up to clogging.

They hold up really well to clogging by pellets and leaf hops. I use one in my boil kettle every time, it helps a lot to cut down on sediment.

Back