Damn Texas weather - variable primary fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveMcPhee

Reaction score
I left a bucket of Stout fermenting in the coldest room in my house. It was a steady 59-63 for at least 10 days, primary fermentation was most probably finished, but I usually leave in primary for about 4 weeks min. It was pitched with WLP013 London Ale.

However, recently the weather around these parts has been a bit bi-polar.
First it got warm, putting my fermentor into the very high 60's for maybe 3-4 days, and now it's dropped to the low 50's for another 2 days and will unfortunately stay that way for a few more.

Given that primary fermentation was mostly complete by the time this variable temperature started, do you think it will have huge effect? Anything I can do, like leave it for a super long time, increase temps, decrease temps?

I do own a ferm chamber but unfortunately I've been forced to use it as a kegerator for the duration of this stout.

You know what they say if you don't like the weather in Texas... wait 5 minutes, it will change

Oh I love the weather, it's the fluctuating temperatures in the un-insulated en suite shower I can't stand ;)

I was in Austin 3 days ago and it was 80, today I am at my home in Dallas and it is in the teens. I feel your pain!

I'd say just leave it, at 10 days in I would expect your past the stage when the yeast are most likely to throw off a lot of fusels.

try wrapping the fermentor in a couple of towels or blankets to help moderate the temp. swings, and maybe let it sit in primary a week or two longer than originally planned.

my 2 cents

I just had the opposite happen....I have 2 batches going that are fermenting at room temp in my house which is mid 60's.........well the power went out at midnight last night and was out for 12 hours....we dropped to mid 40's in the house over night...Funny thing is, we live in the country and it was DEAD silent in the house except for..blub...blub...blub from the air locks.

I'd say just leave it, at 10 days in I would expect your past the stage when the yeast are most likely to throw off a lot of fusels.

try wrapping the fermentor in a couple of towels or blankets to help moderate the temp. swings, and maybe let it sit in primary a week or two longer than originally planned.

my 2 cents

thank you, this is what I was hoping to hear.

Back