Bromance ESB for Critiquing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gremlyn

Reaction score
Bromance Toasty ESB
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale) Brewer: Bromance Brewery
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Mash Time/Temp: 60 min @ 154F
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients - Amount Item - Type - % or IBU
9.00 lb - Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) - Grain - 85.71 %
1.00 lb - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) - Grain - 9.52 % (was 0.5 lbs)
0.50 lb - Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) - Grain - 4.76 % (was 0.75 lbs)
1.00 oz - Brewer's Gold [8.00 %] (45 min) - Hops - 25.1 IBU
0.60 oz - Fuggles [5.10 %] (30 min) - Hops - 8.1 IBU
0.50 oz - Fuggles [5.10 %] (10 min) - Hops - 3.2 IBU
1 Pkgs - Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) - Yeast

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.058 SG (1.048-1.060 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.016 SG (1.010-1.016 SG)
Estimated Color: 9.5 SRM (6.0-18.0 SRM) Color
Bitterness: 36.4 IBU (30.0-50.0 IBU)
Alpha Acid Units: 11.1 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.52 % (4.60-6.20 %)

From my experience, Marris Otter is quite biscuity/bready already. You shouldn't need to add any Biscuit in your grain bill. I would add a touch more crystal, as I like the ESB's/Pale ales to have a bit more caramel character to them. But these are just my preferences!!!!

I've never done a lighter coloured/flavoured beer like this but I want a VERY toasty flavour to it, maybe back down the biscuit to 1/2 lb. I could up the Crystal for sure, I really like Fuller's anyway and that has a nice caramelness to it. I could bump that up to 0.75 lbs to 1 lbs.

I've never done a lighter coloured/flavoured beer like this but I want a VERY toasty flavour to it, maybe back down the biscuit to 1/2 lb. I could up the Crystal for sure, I really like Fuller's anyway and that has a nice caramelness to it. I could bump that up to 0.75 lbs to 1 lbs.

Have you ever tried Amber malt or Special Roast? I think they give a bit more of a biscuity toasty flavor, you can always home-roast your malts as well, I just did that recently for some brown malt because Homebrew Mart was out of it and said they weren't getting any in. Home roasted malts might just give you the toasty flavor you want.

Have you ever tried Amber malt or Special Roast? I think they give a bit more of a biscuity toasty flavor, you can always home-roast your malts as well, I just did that recently for some brown malt because Homebrew Mart was out of it and said they weren't getting any in. Home roasted malts might just give you the toasty flavor you want.

Out of what, biscuit malt? They seem to be out of a lot of stuff regularly. There have been malts they've been out of since I started brewing earlier this year! I'm not milling my own grain yet, so I can't really toast my own malt at home.

I would brew/drink it as is. Looks delicious to me. I like the bready/toasty beers.

Thanks for the vote of confidence :) I think I will up the Crystal 60L a little just to give the colour a little bump. If I do 1 lbs of crystal and 0.5 lbs of biscuit then I get 11.5 for the SRM. If it doesn't come out toasty enough for me, I can always remake it with more of the biscuit :D

Back