Converting Recipes: Steeping vs Mashing of Specialty Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
Sometimes I make a partial mash or all grain version of a beer recipe that started out as an extract with steeping grains type recipe.

I've noticed that when I make beer and mash the specialty grains it seems like you need to use a lot less than if you only steep the grains.

I guess what I'm saying is that it seems like you get a lot more bang for your buck on specialty grains if they are mashed rather than simply steeped, and in general if you try and make a partial mash or all grain version of a recipe that calls for steeping grains, it would be wise to consider scaling back on the use of any specialty grains if you want the beer to come out the same.

Agree ? Disagree ? Any thoughts ?

Hmmm... my gut says that mashing the specialty grains at least gives them more time to impart their flavor and color--around 60 minutes versus 15-30 minutes for steeping.

Greg

I usually steep for 45 mins, but I just did my first partial mash the other day and am curious to hear others opinions on this.

Back